Residency for Tuition Purposes


There are different tuition rates for Utah residents and for non-residents, based on the Utah State Law, 53B-8-102, and the Board of Regents R512 Policies and Procedures. Your initial residency classification will be determined when your admissions application is reviewed. If you are admitted, your official letter of acceptance will include your classification. If you are classified as a non-resident but feel you should qualify for resident status, you may apply to change your status.

Students who have been classified as non-residents who plan to apply for reclassification must read the following:

The resources listed above describe the various ways in which students may be eligible for in-state (resident) tuition under the provisions of the Utah state law determining residency. These documents explain the general rule of the law (also known as the “Undergraduate Policy” or “One Year Rule”) as well as exceptions that may make students eligible to waive the time requirement (undergraduate students) or the credit hours requirement (graduate students) and apply for residency immediately. Review these materials carefully. Non-resident students who are eligible for a reclassification of their residency status must submit a complete application/certification/military form by the applicable term deadline, along with all required supporting documentation. Please do not submit tax documents through email. It will not be accepted. Due to guidance from the Dept. of Education we can no longer accept tax documents via email.




Complete the Residency Reclassification Application if you qualify under any of the following provisions:

  • Graduate Policy
  • Undergraduate Policy (“One Year Rule”): Twelve Continuous Months of Physical Presence in Utah and Declaring Financial Independence
  • Marriage to a Utah resident
  • Dependent child with a parent domiciled in Utah for at least twelve continuous months
  • Full-time permanent employment in Utah (including cases where the employment is for a spouse or parent)
  • Extenuating circumstances (such as divorce, death of spouse, long-term health care responsibilities of family members, or refugee placed directly in Utah)
  • Utah resident away for school, government volunteer service, ecclesiastical service or temporary employment.

Complete the Certification Form for Resident Exceptions for Tuition Purposes if you qualify under any of the following provisions:

  • American Indian enrolled on the tribal rolls of a tribe whose reservation or trust lands lie partly or wholly within Utah or whose border is at any point contiguous with the border of Utah
  • Member of a federally recognized or known Utah tribe that has graduated from a Utah high school
  • Student who has attended another Utah school in the Utah System of Higher Education (USHE) within the past year classified as a Utah resident for tuition purposes
  • Utah State social or rehabilitation services agency assistance recipient receiving full tuition and fees allowance
  • Participant in Olympic Athlete Training Program in Utah
  • Job Corps Student

Complete the Application for In-State Tuition Based Upon Military Service Exceptions if you qualify under any of the following provisions:

  • U.S. military service member assigned to active duty within Utah
  • Immediate family member of a U.S. military service member currently assigned to active duty within the state of Utah
  • U.S. military veteran
  • Immediate family member of a U.S. military veteran who has separated within the last five years
  • Eligible person entitled to benefits under 38 U.S.C. Chapter 30, Montgomery G.I. Bill – Active Duty Educational Assistance Program, or Chapter 33, Post 9/11 Educational Assistance Program
  • An individual who maintains residency in Utah with an intent to return but who is serving on active duty duty in the US Armed Forces and is assigned outside of Utah (includes cases where the student is a spouse or dependent child).


 Term Deadlines to Submit Application/Certification/Military Forms

Applications for reclassification are accepted for all three academic terms. Students must submit the reclassification application, certification form, or military application by the appropriate term deadline:

  • Fall Semester: July 1
  • Spring Semester: November 1
  • Summer Term: April 1

If you are applying for Utah resident-based scholarships and your scholarship deadline is prior to June 1st, please write “Priority Process for Scholarship Consideration” at the top of your application. We will try to accommodate these requests, but cannot waive requirements to prove eligibility for residency reclassification. If you have not heard from our office within two weeks of submitting a “rush” request, please contact our office to determine the status of your application.

Term Deadlines to Establish Domiciliary Ties

All students submitting a Residency Reclassification Application must take overt steps to prove their intent to make Utah their permanent residence. For example, a person that holds a valid driver’s license from any other state must replace it with a Utah driver’s license. Or, if they have no driver’s license, they must get a Utah ID card.

Students applying under the Undergraduate Policy (One Year Rule) or Graduate Policy must establish their Utah domiciliary ties by the deadlines listed below, which are earlier than the deadlines to submit their application/certification/military form packets to the Office of Admissions:

  • Fall Semester: May 1
  • Spring Semester: October 1
  • Summer Term: February 1

Residency for Non-Citizens

Foreign nationals that have been granted legal immigrant or permanent U.S. resident status or have obtained asylum or refugee status under U.S. immigration law are classified for purposes of resident status according to the same criteria applicable to U.S. citizens. These students must submit verification of their statuses with their residency applications. Residency reclassification will not be granted to foreign nationals without proof of permanent resident, asylum, or refugee status in the United States.

Information on special tuition waivers for foreign nationals can be found in the Board of Regents Policy R513. You may find this information at

Last Updated: 5/29/19