What is an Initial I-20 Request?
I-20 Certificate of Eligibility is required to:
- Apply for an F-1 student visa through a U.S. Consulate abroad
- To maintain F-1 student status in the United States
The University of Utah will begin processing your I-20 once you’ve been admitted to a degree-seeking program.
Admission to a Certificate Program does not qualify as a degree program and will not grant I-20 eligibility.
If you are a continuing student requesting an initial I-20, please refer to the following guide.
I-20 Document Deadlines
NOV 1 For students currently outside the U.S.
DEC 19 For students currently residing in the U.S.
APR 1 For students currently outside the U.S.
MAY 1 For students currently residing in the U.S.
JUN 1 For students currently outside the U.S.
AUG 1 For students currently residing in the U.S.
Avoid I-20 Delays
The Office of Admissions will review a student’s file for I-20 issuance after a student has been admitted to the University of Utah and the official admission letter is issued.
This includes review of financial and identification documents.
Your patience is appreciated as the time that it takes to evaluate all documentation and to process an I-20 varies from applicant to applicant.
Paying attention to the following points will help you to avoid unnecessary delays.
Keep in Touch
- Monitor your e-mail account and application tracker.
- If we need additional information you will be contact via email.
- Please inform our office of any changes in your situation, including but not limited to changes in your mailing address, email address, passport change, dependents information or immigration status.
Submit the required documents for I-20 processing early (rather than waiting until after the admission decision is made).
NOTE: documents must not be older than 6 months at the moment of I-20 issuance.
We will have to contact you to request updated (more recent) documents if needed, which can delay your I-20 processing.
When submitting documents by e-mail, please send them as an attachment and have good resolution/quality.
All information needs to be clearly visible.
Only submit documents asked for; the more documents or duplicates you submit for proof of funding, the longer it will take to finalize your I-20.
Instead of submitting multiple types of bank statements, consider requesting a Consolidated Account Summary from your bank.
We will expect you to submit the following:
- A copy of the biographical page of your passport.
- Proof of funding that shows coverage for the University of Utah annual estimated expenses.
- Affidavit of support, if the proof of funding is not on your name.
- Home country address (foreign address) information, if not indicated on application.
- Phone number (if not indicated on application).
- U.S. address (only for students transferring from another U.S. university/school).
- Completed International Transfer Form with released SEVIS record (only for students transferring from another U.S. university/school).
- If you have any dependents, their passports and additional proof of funding of $6,000 USD per dependent.
- Your passport needs to be valid and current at the moment of I-20 issuance and must accurately reflect your name.
- If there are errors, please apply to your government to have them corrected before your I-20 is issued.
Foreign & U.S. Addresses
A foreign/home country address (an address outside of the U.S.) is required by SEVIS to be able to issue an I-20.
- This address will be used only for I-20 purposes and may differ from your mailing address.
- It cannot be a post office box or an organization’s address.
A U.S. address is required by SEVIS to be able to issue an I-20.
- This must be your US physical address.
- It cannot be a post office box or an organization’s address.
- If you have left the US, it can be where you lived before leaving or where you will be living when you return.
Affidavit of Support
If the financial statement is not in the student’s name, the account holder will need to fill out and submit an affidavit of support.
The form must be completely filled out.
See the link for an affidavit of support here.
Students who will be receiving a government scholarship to study at the University of Utah do not need to submit an affidavit of support, if their scholarship fully covers academic and living expenses.
Filling out an affidavit of support:
- The name of the sponsor on the affidavit must match exactly the name on the bank statement.
- It is also easier to identify the sponsor if the address stated on the affidavit of support matches the address on the bank statement.
- The sponsor is required to check or circle a correct semester (fall, spring or summer) and input the year when the student will begin studies at the University of Utah.
- The term and the year are also indicated on an admission letter.
- There are two signature options at the bottom of the affidavit of support.
- Signatures have to be hand-written, electronic signatures are not accepted. The sponsor needs to sign only one box (option 1 OR option 2) and put a date when the document was signed.
- Option 1 in the signature section means the sponsor is willing to provide all funds on the bank statement towards your education.
- Option 2 (partial responsibility) is chosen when a sponsor is willing to provide only a portion of their funds towards the student’s education.
- The amount the sponsor is willing to share needs to be indicated.
- The balance on the bank statement must be equal or higher than the amount indicated in the Option 2 box of the affidavit of support.
SEVIS Transfer-In Form
A completed international transfer form from your previous school is required to transfer-in your SEVIS record.
Please print the form, fill out the student information section and submit it to an International Student Advisor/DSO at your current U.S. institution.
An Advisor will complete the document and send it to our office and transfer your SEVIS/immigration record to the University of Utah.
The form can be found here.
In order to receive an I-20 for your dependents, please notify the Office of Admissions about your decision and send us the following additional materials for each dependent:
- Proof of funding: $6,000 per person. Dependents are spouses and unmarried children younger than 21 years of age.
- Copy of the passport (biographical page only)
- If your dependents plan to enter the United States after your arrival to the University of Utah, you need to request an I-20 for each of them through the International Student and Scholar Services Office.