College Level Examination Program (CLEP) Credit
Testing Information and registration forms are available at the University Testing Center, 450 Student Services Building.
Students enrolled at the University of Utah who received scores of 50 or higher on approved CLEP exams can earn 3 semester hours per exam.
Credit is not awarded if duplicated by previous course work or exams.
Students can take any CLEP exam only once per six month period. Test costs can be verified by the Testing Center.
We recommend you check with either the Academic Advising Center or the Office of Admissions before signing up for any CLEP tests, for the following reasons:
- All General Education Classes taken prior to any corresponding CLEP tests will be considered preparation for those CLEP exams, and the number of hours earned in the class will be subtracted from the number of hours awarded for the CLEP exam. Please consult the Academic Advising Center on how this could affect the reduction of waivers for General Education requirements.
- AP credit earned prior to taking the corresponding CLEP exam will directly reduce the number of possible CLEP credits awarded.
- It may not be to your advantage to take a CLEP exam in the same area as your major. Please consult your department advisor for further clarification of this matter.
- The University of Utah will not recognize a retaken CLEP exam unless at least six months have passed since the first exam was taken.
- All CLEP tests should be completed well before the term you expect to earn your first bachelor’s degree. Because of the nature of the evaluation process and the volume of scores submitted, no evaluation can be rushed for graduation or for any other reason.
Have questions? Please contact either of the following:
- The Academic Advising Center (801-581-8146)
- The Office of Admissions (801-581-8761)
**Exam equivalencies are subject to change without notice
Beginning March 2023, all prior learning credit will be evaluated and posted according to the equivalencies in place at the time the exam was taken. Credit posted prior to March 2023 will not be changed with this new policy. Questions about posting of exam credit should be addressed to Office of Admissions at email@example.com. Questions regarding exam equivalencies should be addressed to the Registrar’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.