International Returning Admissions - The University of Utah
Main Menu

International Returning Students

Welcome Back to the U

International Returning students were previously enrolled in courses at the University of Utah but discontinued enrollment without completing a bachelor’s degree.

Discontinuation occurs if you go a full year without enrolling in courses or filing a Leave of Absence.

Ready to get back on track? We’ll get you up to speed. Check out the Academic Advising Center to speak with an advisor!

Pick Up Where U Left Off

Review Admissions Standards and Deadlines

The University of Utah accepts undergraduate applications for the spring semester, summer term and fall semester.

Deadlines and applications for the next year are made available in August of the current year.

  • Spring due Jan 1
  • Full Summer due May 1
  • Second Summer due June 1
  • Fall due Aug 1

If you have ever been enrolled in the Utah Global Pathway Program and did not complete the program, please speak to a Utah Global advisor before applying for re-admission.

Review Undergraduate Admissions Standards

See I-20 Deadlines


International Students must meet application deadlines and I-20 document deadlines.

Submit Your Application

Apply for admission by completing and submitting the University of Utah Undergraduate Admissions Application.

  • Once you’ve started your application, you can save and continue at any time until submitted.
  • After submission, changes cannot be made.

Application fees

International students have a non-refundable application fee of $65.

  • Students who will study at the U on a visa are not eligible for need-based fee waivers.
  • Applications are not complete until the application fee has been paid.
  • Fees must be paid online within the application.

F1 visa applicants who currently live outside the US

If you are pursuing an F-1 student visa, the following criteria must be met in order for the university to issue an initial I-20 Certificate of Eligibility:

  • An admissions decision has been reached
  • All immigration documents have been received and verified

For any admissions timeline-related questions, please contact our office.

The immigration document deadlines for students living outside the United States are as follows:

  • Spring: November 1
  • Summer: April 1
  • Fall: June 1


Before submitting your application please be aware of the application deadlines and I-20 document deadlines.

Submit Required Documents

If you have attended another accredited or ministry-recognized college or university during your time away from the University of Utah, you must have your transcripts sent to the International Office of Admissions. Transcripts must be sent from each school you attended. Transcripts submitted when initially admitted to the University of Utah do not need to be sent again.

Transcripts (mark sheets, school records, grades) for secondary school (9-12) are required.

  • If transcripts are only in the native language, please provide an Official English translation.
  • We require official transcripts, however we will accept unofficial copies of transcripts for any schools outside of the U.S. to complete your application.
  • Please note that if you are admitted, we will require official copies of your transcripts.
  • Unofficial transcripts can be sent to us directly at

Before starting classes at the University of Utah, you must submit an official copy of your secondary school transcript and proof of graduation directly to the Office of Admissions.

  • If you have taken the U.S GED or HiSET exam in lieu of a high school diploma, please have your official U.S GED or HiSET scores sent directly from the GED or HiSET website.
  • We do not accept non-U.S. GEDs or HiSETs.

Official printed transcripts can be dropped off in a closed envelope sealed with adhesive at the International Admissions service window in the Student Services Building (SSB) or mailed to:

The University of Utah
International Admissions
201 South 1460 East, Room 250S
Salt Lake City, UT 84112 USA

Transcripts are considered official if your international school uses the following electronic transcript services :

When requesting your transcripts using any of these services, please use the email

View International Application Documents Info


Please do not send official international transcripts via email or fax as they will not be deemed official.

Submit Proof of English Proficiency

English language proficiency is imperative to your success at the University of Utah. See how you can demonstrate English proficiency. A new proof of English proficiency is only needed if you have lived outside the U.S. for more than 2 years.

Track Your Application

Your application will be evaluated once we receive:

  • Your completed application
  • The application fee
  • All required documentation

Track the status of your application


Please allow 7-10 business days for the online tracker to reflect newly received materials.