American Indian Student | Admissions - The University of Utah
Main Menu

Residency for Tuition Purposes: American Indian Policies

Spring 2024 applications are open from September 15, 2023 to January 5, 2024

Read on to learn about the University of Utah residency policies, exceptions, requirements and deadlines.

Residency Reclassification Application Deadline by Semester


Fall Semester


Spring Semester


Summer Semester

Domiciliary Tie Establishment Deadline by Semester


Fall Semester


Spring Semester


Summer Semester

Mandatory Reading for All Residency Reclassification Applicants

  1. University of Utah Institutional Policy on Residency Determination for Tuition Purposes
  2. Board of Regents R512 Policies and Procedures
  3. Utah State Law, 53B-8-102

There are different tuition rates for Utah residents and non-residents based on Utah State Law, 53B-8-102 and Board of Regents R512 Policy.

Your initial residency classification will be determined when your admissions application is reviewed.

  • Your official letter of acceptance will include your classification.
  • If you are classified as a non-resident but meet the requirements for a policy or exception for resident status, you may apply to change your status.

The resources listed above describe the various ways in which you may be eligible for in-state (resident) tuition under the provisions of Utah state law.

  • These documents explain the general rule of the law and exceptions that may allow you to waive the time requirement and apply for residency immediately.
  • Review these materials carefully.
  • Non-residents eligible for reclassification must submit a complete reclassification, certification, or military form by the applicable term deadline with all required supporting documentation.

Per University of Utah policy, incoming graduate students, including those in Law programs, may apply under the Undergraduate policy or any other policy if they qualify prior to the start of their graduate studies.

  • Graduate students who begin their graduate program as a non-resident are only eligible to reclassify under the Graduate policy, which includes completing 40 graduate-level semester hours prior to reclassification.
  • Medical students are held to the policies of the School of Medicine.
  • Law students are ineligible to reclassify after beginning their program.
  • Dental students admitted as non-residents are ineligible for reclassification at any time.
  • The only exceptions to Graduate, Medical, Law, and Dental residency policy are for students proving eligibility through military or American Indian exceptions, or the House Bill 144 tuition waiver as described below.

Policies for American Indian Students

These policies and exceptions apply to American Indian/Indigenous American students. Please check the sections below to see if you qualify under any of the following exceptions, then complete the Certification Form for Resident Exceptions for Tuition Purposes.

**Please be sure to check the term deadlines above.

American Indian Enrolled on the Tribal Rolls of a Tribe Whose Reservation or Trust Lands Lie Partly or Wholly Within Utah or Whose Border is at Any Point Contiguous With the Border of Utah

Accepted methods of proof include the following:

  • Copy of the requesting student’s “Certificate of Blood” document

Qualifying tribes include:

  • Confederated Tribes of the Goshute Reservation
  • Navajo Nation (Diné)
  • Northwestern Band of Shoshoni Nation of Utah (Washakie)
  • Paiute Indian Tribe of Utah
    • Cedar Band; (Suh’dutsing) Cedar People
    • Indian Peaks; (Kwee’choovunt) Peak People
    • Kanosh Band; (kawnaw’os, willow jug)
    • Koosharem; (Paw goosawd’uhmpuhtseng) Water Clover People
    • Shivwits; (See’veets eng) Whitish Earth People
  • Kaibab Band of Paiute Indians
  • San Juan Southern Paiute Tribe
  • Skull Valley Band of Goshute Indians of Utah
  • Ute Indian Tribe of the Uintah and Ouray Reservation
  • Ute Mountain Tribe of the Ute Mountain Reservation
  • Hopi
  • Zuni
  • Shoshone-Bannock Tribe

Member of a Federally Recognized or Known Utah Tribe That Has Graduated From a Utah High School

Accepted methods of proof include the following:

  • Copy of the requesting student’s “Certificate of Blood” document
  • Copy of the requesting student’s high school diploma or official transcript verifying graduation from a Utah high school

Already Applied for Residency?

If you have already submitted your residency application form and have additional documents you wish to turn in for evaluation, please attach the documents using the Post Submission form.

Residency for Non-citizens

Foreign nationals that have been granted permanent U.S. resident status or have obtained asylum or refugee status under U.S. immigration law are classified for purposes of resident status according to the same criteria applicable to U.S. citizens. These students must submit verification of status with their residency application. Residency reclassification will not be granted to foreign nationals without proof of permanent resident, asylum, or refugee status in the United States.

Tuition Waivers for Non-residents

Information on special tuition waivers for non-citizens and other non-residents can be found in Board of Regents Policy R513.

  • The House Bill 144 Non-Resident Tuition Waiver is explained in R513-13 Exemption for Certain Students with Utah High School Graduation. .
  • The House Bill 118 Non-Resident Tuition Waiver is explained in R513-14 Exemption of Nonresident Tuition for Certain Foreign Nationals.

Information on House Bill 144 & House Bill 118 is available here.

Have Questions?

Residency Office Contact Information

(801) 581-8761, Option 5