International Transfer Admissions | Admissions - The University of Utah
Main Menu

International Transfer Admissions

Welcome to the U

Transfer applicants are students who have already attended any post-secondary institution (college or university), but have not yet completed a bachelor’s degree or a U.S. equivalent of a bachelor’s degree.

Your Future Begins with U

Review Application and I-20 Deadlines

The University of Utah accepts applications for the spring semester, summer term and fall semester.

  • Spring semester application deadline: Nov 1
  • Full Summer term application deadline: April 1
  • Second Summer term application deadline: June 1
  • Fall semester application deadline: April 1

It can take longer to process applications from international applicants due to the time needed to convert grades from foreign educational systems and to process I-20 documents. The earlier you submit your documents, the faster you will receive an admissions decision.

See I-20 document deadlines


International Students must meet application and I-20 document deadlines.

Review Course Transfer Standards

Transfer credit earned at other U.S. regionally accredited colleges and universities is normally accepted for advanced standing if grades D- or better have been earned in the credited courses.

International universities recognized as an institution of higher education in their home country by the ministry of education can be reviewed for transfer credit. International transfer credit can transfer to the U if the U offers a comparable course.

Students who have a U.S. Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree, or have completed the general education program and received a certificate of completion from a USHE school are considered to have satisfied the University of Utah’s general education requirements.

Completion of an Associate of Science or Associate of Arts degree from a regionally accredited comprehensive community college will satisfy the University of Utah’s intellectual exploration and writing portion of general education requirements.

The mathematics and American institutions requirements must be completed, if not included in the associate degree.

Additional graduation requirements in mathematics, writing, language, etc. are required for graduation.

An Associate of Applied Science degree does not clear general education requirements.

Please Note

Prerequisite courses and major courses may require higher grades. Check with your major advisor for additional information.

Submit Your Application

Apply for admission by submitting the application for undergraduate admissions.

Be sure to fill out the application completely, as it will be used to determine the admissibility.

Once an application has been started, you will be able to save and continue at any time until submitted.

Once you’ve submitted your application, changes cannot be made.

F-1 Visa Applicants Who Currently Live Outside of the US:

  • If you will be seeking F-1 student visa, we cannot guarantee we will be able to issue an initial 1-20 Certificate of Eligibility if both of the following have not taken place before the deadlines below:
    • An admissions decision has been reached
    • ALL immigration documents have been received and verified

For any further questions related to this timeline, please contact our office.

The immigration document deadlines for students living outside the United States are as follows:

  • Spring: November 1
  • Summer: April 1
  • Fall: June 1

Application Fees

  • The non-refundable application fee for international students is $65.
  • Students who will study at the U on a visa are not eligible for need-based fee waivers.
  • Applications are not complete until the application fee has been paid.
  • Fees mush be paid online within the application.
  • Please do not send cash.

I-20 Document Deadlines


Before submitting your application please be aware of the application deadlines and I-20 document deadlines.

Submit Required Documents

International Transfer students are required to provide:

Transcripts (i.e., mark sheets, school records, grades) for all post-secondary schools attended.

  • Official English translations must be provided if the transcripts are only in the native language.
  • If transfer applicants have fewer than 30 transferrable credit hours they must also submit secondary school records, includes transcripts (mark sheets, school records, grades) for secondary school (the equivalent of grades 9-12).

Official transcripts

  • We will accept unofficial copies of transcripts for any schools outside of the U.S. for the purposes of completing your application. However, we require official transcripts from any schools you may have attended in the U.S. at the time of application.
  • If you are admitted, we will require official copies of your transcripts along with proof of graduation.
  • Unofficial transcripts can be sent to us directly at

The only high school equivalency exams accepted by the University of Utah are the U.S. GED and the HiSET.

If you have taken the U.S. GED or HiSET exam in place of a high school diploma, please have your official scores sent directly to us.

Official printed transcripts can be dropped off in a closed envelope sealed with adhesive at the International Admissions service window in the Student Services Building (SSB) or mailed to:

The University of Utah
International Admissions
201 South 1460 East, Room 250S
Salt Lake City, UT 84112 USA

If your international school uses the following electronic transcript services they will be considered official:

When requesting your transcripts using any of these services please use this email


Please do not send transcripts via email or fax as they will not be accepted as official.

Submit Proof of English Proficiency

English language proficiency is imperative to your success at the University of Utah.

In order to be admitted, you must submit proof of English proficiency.

Learn How

Track Your Application

Your application will be evaluated once we receive a completed application, application fee, and all required documentation.

Track the status of your application


Please allow 7-10 business days for the online tracker to reflect newly received materials.