International Freshman Admissions & Undergraduate Costs | Admissions - The University of Utah
Main Menu

International Freshman Admissions & Undergraduate Costs

Welcome to the U

International Freshmen are first-year applicants who are completing or have completed their secondary education (high school) and have not yet attended any post-secondary institution (college or university).

This is only the beginning. Ready to hit the ground running? Read on to learn how to begin your journey at the U!

Your Future Begins with U

Review Admissions Standards and Deadlines

The University of Utah accepts undergraduate applications for the spring semester, summer term and fall semester.

The University of Utah academic calendar is divided into three semesters.

Deadlines and applications for the next year are made available in August of the current year.

  • Spring (Jan to May) due Nov 1
  • Summer (May to Aug) & Fall (Aug to Dec) due April 1

Review Undergraduate Admissions Standards

See I-20 deadlines


International Students must meet application deadlines and I-20 document deadlines.

Submit Your Application

Apply for admission by completing and submitting the Common Application.

  • Once you’ve started your application, you can save and continue at any time until submitted.
  • After submission, changes cannot be made.
  • For more information, see the Common App guide for first-time students here.

Application fees

International students have a non-refundable application fee of $65.

  • Students who will study at the U on a visa are not eligible for need-based fee waivers.
  • Applications are not complete until the application fee has been paid.
  • Fees must be paid online within the application.

F-1 visa applicants who currently live outside the US

If you are pursuing an F-1 student visa, the following criteria must be met in order for the university to issue an initial I-20 Certificate of Eligibility:

  • An admissions decision has been reached
  • All immigration documents have been received and verified

For any admissions timeline-related questions, please contact our office.

The immigration document deadlines for students living outside the United States are as follows:

  • Spring: November 1
  • Summer: April 1
  • Fall: June 1


Before submitting your application please be aware of the application deadlines and I-20 document deadlines.

Submit Required Documents

Transcripts (mark sheets, school records, grades) for secondary school (9-12) are required.

  • If transcripts are only written in a language other than English, please provide an official English translation.
  • We will accept unofficial copies of transcripts for any schools outside of the U.S. to complete your application.
  • Please note that if you are admitted, we will require official copies of your transcripts.
  • Unofficial transcripts can be sent to us directly at

Before starting classes at the University of Utah, you must submit an official copy of your secondary school transcript and proof of graduation directly to the Office of Admissions.

  • If you have taken the U.S. GED or HiSET exam in lieu of a high school diploma, please have your official U.S. GED or HiSET scores sent directly from the GED or HiSET website.
  • We do not accept non-U.S. GEDs or HiSETs.

Official printed transcripts can be dropped off in a closed envelope sealed with adhesive at the International Admissions service window in the Student Services Building (SSB) or mailed to:

The University of Utah
International Admissions
201 South 1460 East, Room 250s
Salt Lake City, UT 84112 USA

Transcripts are considered official if your international school uses the following electronic transcript services :

When requesting your transcripts using any of these services, please use the email

View International Application Documents Info


Please do not send official international transcripts via email or fax as they will not be deemed official.

Submit Proof of English Proficiency

English language proficiency is imperative to your success at the University of Utah. See how you can demonstrate English proficiency.

Track Your Application

Your application will be evaluated once we receive:

  • Your completed application
  • The application fee
  • All required documentation

Track the status of your application


Please allow 7-10 business days for the online tracker to reflect newly received materials.

Estimated International Undergraduate Expenses for I-20 Purposes

Below is a breakdown of estimated undergraduate expenses for international students requesting an I-20 from the University of Utah for FALL 2024 – SPRING 2025 – SUMMER 2025.

Annual Living Expenses* $27,460

Living Expenses (Housing): $9,900

Living Expenses (Food): $5,900

Books & Supplies: $1,240

Health Insurance: $2,720

Other Expenses: $7,700

Includes Two Semester Fees

Non-resident Tuition & Fees** $33,565

International Student Fee ($150 per semester): $300**

Int’l Orientation Fee (one-time charge only): $75**

Undergrad Non-Resident Tuition (24 credits): $33,190

Includes Two Semester Fees

Total Estimated Undergraduate Cost $61,025

**The Office of International Student & Scholar Services charges these fees.

Undergraduate international students must only prove to have funding for 12 credit hours per semester in order for the University of Utah to issue an I-20. Estimated expenses are calculated on 24 credit hours as minimum enrollment for two semesters, but it is recommended that students enroll in 15 hours a semester in order to graduate in four years which may increase the cost of attendance.

House Bill 118 Tuition Waiver

You may qualify for the House Bill 118 tuition waiver, which allows eligible Utah high school graduates the opportunity to attend Utah universities and colleges and have the non-resident portion of your tuition waived.

You qualify for this waiver if you:

  • Are a foreign national legally admitted to the United States (holds a non-immigrant visa such as F-1, H-4, J-1, etc.)
  • Attended a Utah high school for three or more years.
  • Graduated or will graduate from a Utah high school or attained the equivalent of a high school diploma (GED or HiSET) in Utah.


  • House Bill 118 is a Utah State law.
  • If HB118 requirements are met, proof of funding is required for I-20 issuance.
  • The estimated amount needed for an I-20 is calculated independently of the Utah State Law HB118 tuition waiver.
  • If your HB118 application is approved, you will be responsible for the resident portion of the tuition cost.

Important Notes About Dependents & Actual Expenses

The estimated cost per year for each dependent is $6,000.

  • This will be calculated into the required proof of funding for each dependent requested.
  • Your actual expenses may be higher or lower than this estimate depending on your personal spending habits.
  • The estimated cost for room and board is for living on-campus.
  • If you will be living off-campus, the cost of living will likely increase.

International students pay non-resident tuition rates at the University of Utah.

  • The estimate reflects the minimum amount required for issuing an I-20 needed for the F-1 student visa application process.
  • Amounts are subject to change at any time.
  • All students are eligible for resident tuition rates during the summer term.