Defer your admission to a later term.


Newly accepted freshman, transfer, or readmitted degree-seeking undergraduate students who wish to defer their start date to a later semester may apply for an admission deferment.

  • Requests to defer an offer of admission will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and may be granted for reasons including religious and humanitarian service, military service, and medical. Supporting documentation must be provided with the application for deferment. You can send documentation to support your deferment request to or submit it online.  Supporting documentation must be received by the first day of the semester in which you were admitted.
  • An admission deferment may be granted for a maximum of seven consecutive semesters (including summers).  The admission deferment guarantees only admission into the university and not necessarily admission to a particular major and/or program of study.
  • If you have confirmed your intent to enroll  you can apply for deferment until the first day of the semester in which you were admitted.
  • For information on scholarship deferment visit the Office of Financial Aid.
  • An applicant approved for deferment will be required to attend a mandatory new student orientation session preceding enrollment.  Enrollment at another institution is not allowed if a deferment is approved.

Failure to meet any of these terms may result in the revocation of admission. In such a case, an applicant will need to reapply for admission to the university by the appropriate application deadlines.



Did you defer your admission, and it's time to return to school? Make sure you've got everything ready to go with our Deferred Student Checklist.


  1. Who is eligible to apply for admissions deferment?
    • First time domestic freshman, transfer and readmit applicants who have been admitted are eligible to apply.   All requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis and may be granted for reasons including, but not limited to illness, military service, and humanitarian or religious service.  Supporting documentation must be provided with the application for deferment.
    • Non-Degree seeking (non-matriculated) students are not eligible for deferment.  Non-Degree seeking students will need to reapply if they wish to attend for a different term from which they were admitted.
  2. When can I apply for a deferment?
    • If you have paid the enrollment deposit or received an enrollment deposit extension you can apply for a deferment until the first day of the semester.
  3. How many semesters can I request to defer?
    • Students may defer up to seven consecutive semesters counting the summer. For example, if a student was admitted for the Fall 2020 semester the student can defer up until the Spring 2023 semester if necessary.
  4. How do I apply for a deferment?

    • Students may apply online here. Applicants will be required to describe why they are requesting a deferral, provide the appropriate documentation, identify the semester they plan to return (up to seven semesters) as well as submit the $300 enrollment deposit.
  5. Is there a deadline to apply for a deferral?
    • If the $300 Enrollment Deposit is paid, a deferral can be requested until the first day of the semester in which the student was admitted.
  6. If my deferment request is approved, what does that mean?
    • An approved deferment request means that the offer of admission to the University will be honored. Direct admission to academic majors, programs with advanced standing, or placement by exam or audition will be determined by the individual department/program.  Applicants are advised to contact the department/program prior to requesting a deferment. Please visit for department contact information.
  7. I was accepted into the Honors College, will requesting a deferral impact this?
    • The Honors College will honor their original offer as long as the deferral is approved by the Office of Admissions.
  8. Can my parents or another select individual help me with things at the U while I'm gone?
    • Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the University of Utah is limited in the information it can share about students, even to their parents, without consent being given by the student first. Before you start your deferment, be sure to complete the Consent to Release Form to dedicate someone to help you with different steps at the U while you're away.
  9. I will be serving a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, what documentation will I need to provide?
    • You will need to provide a copy of your mission call by the first day of the semester in which you were admitted.
  10. If my deferment request is approved, will my scholarships and financial aid be deferred as well?
    • Scholarships awarded by the Financial Aid and Scholarships Office (including President's Scholarship, Utah Flagship Scholarship, Utah Academic Scholarship, Utah Academic Recognition Award, Diversity Scholarship and Leadership Scholarship) will be deferred if the deferment request is approved by the Office of Admissions.  Deferrals of scholarships awarded by departments or other agencies will need to be addressed directly with the appropriate department or agency.  Students that are eligible for need-based financial aid should contact the Office of Financial Aid for information.
  11. I am an International student who plans to attend the U on a student visa, may I request deferment?
    • International students are not eligible for deferment and must reapply for their future term.
  12. Can I change my mind and attend the U before my deferred semester?
    • If your deferral is approved and you decide to attend before your deferral semester, please contact the Office of Admissions for your options.
  13. What if I have additional questions?
  14. I am an enrolled student at the U, can I apply for a deferment?
  15. What are some common requests in which a deferment would not be approved?
    • Deferments are typically not granted based upon financial reasons, taking a year off to try to establish Utah residency for tuition purposes, not being admitted to a specific department/program within the University, or for students to attend other institutions.