English Proficiency

English Proficiency


We know international students at the University of Utah have the greatest potential for success. Effective comprehension of the English language is vital for maximizing this potential. Thus all international applicants to the University of Utah must provide proof of English proficiency.

If you are a native English speaking citizen of the following countries, you may not need to submit proof of English proficiency. Citizens of a country not listed below will still need to prove English proficiency through one of our approved means, even if the medium of academic instruction is English.

  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Australia
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Canada
  • Dominica
  • Federated States of Micronesia
  • Gambia
  • Ghana
  • Grenada
  • Guyana
  • Ireland
  • Jamaica
  • Liberia
  • Mauritius
  • Namibia
  • New Zealand
  • Nigeria
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • Saint Lucia
  • Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Sierra Leone
  • Singapore
  • Solomon Islands
  • South Africa
  • The Bahamas
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland)
  • Zambia

Continuing Students
If you are currently enrolled at the University of Utah and will be moving from one-degree level to another, or from one program to another, you will not need to prove English proficiency again. This is only the case as long as the change takes place without a break between studies of no more than two years.

You can use this chart as a reference to help you understand the ways you can most effectively provide proof of English proficiency based on the type of application you are submitting.

For more detailed descriptions about the ways that English proficiency can be demonstrated, and ways it cannot be demonstrated, please see the English Proficiency Explanation and Rules section in the chart below.

Please note: Associate, Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Doctoral degrees must be earned from a regionally-accredited U.S. college or university and be completed within two years of submitting your application and paying the application fee.

Applicant Type
 Freshmen Transfer Second Bachelor Readmit and Non Degree Seeking Graduate
 Associate's Degree
 Bachelor's Degree
 Master's Degree
 Doctoral Degree
Duolingo 105 or higher
 iBT/TOEFL 80 or higher
 IELTS 6.5 or higher
 ACT English score of 18 or higher
 SAT Reading score of 27 or higher
 At least 2.5 year US H.S graduate with A's & B's in Non-ESL English Classes
 C in College Writing Course equivalent to WRTG 1010 or 2010

Test Guidelines and Minimum Score Requirements
Test dates must fall within two years of submitting your application and paying your application fee to be valid. Our office cannot use expired test scores to evaluate the English proficiency requirement.

  • TOEFL: 80 or higher
  • IELTS*: 6.5 or higher
    • *IELTS Indicator is not approved for admissions at this time.
  • DUOLINGO: 105 or higher
  • ACT English score of 18 or higher
  • SAT Reading score of 27 or higher
How to Send Your Test Scores Officially
*Please have your scores sent electronically to the University of Utah Office of Admissions. You can do this by using the following codes:
  • TOEFL: 4853
  • IELTS: Please contact your testing center to have the score sent directly to the University of Utah.
  • DUOLINGO: Please log into your duolingo account, select the "Send Results" button next to your test results, and select the University of Utah as the receiving institution.
  • SAT: 4853
  • ACT: 4274

*If the name on your test result is different from the name you put on your application, please email our office with the name information so we can match the correct score with your application. You can contact our office at iao@utah.edu.

In some instances, your academic background can be used to demonstrate your English proficiency. In these cases, the following means can be used in place of an English test score to fulfill your English proficiency requirement.

  • Those who attended at least 2 ½ years and graduated, or will graduate, from a U.S. regionally accredited High School. Students must have at least grades of "A" and "B" in non-ESL level English classes.
  • A grade of "C" or better in a college-level English Composition course at a regionally-accredited U.S. college or university. This course must be equivalent to WRTG 1010- Intro to Academic Writing or WRTG 2010- Intermediate Writing: Academic Writing & Research offered at the University of Utah.
  • An associate, bachelor's, master's or doctoral degree from a regionally-accredited or ministry of education approved college or university within the past two years from any of the following countries:
    • United States
    • Australia
    • Canada (except Quebec)
    • Ireland
    • New Zealand
    • United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland)

*In order to qualify as proof of English proficiency, all grades, courses, and degrees must have been received within two years of submitting your application and paying the application fee or you must have remained in the above-listed countries continuously since the time of receiving those scores, grades, or degrees. 

This list is not comprehensive. There are many means through which English proficiency cannot be proved which are not included on this list. These are some ways which, unfortunately, our office is unable to accept as proof of English proficiency:

  • English as a means of instruction alone
  • Citizenship from an English speaking country other than those listed in the section above, When English Proficiency May Not Be Required.
  • High School English ESL courses
  • An English intensive course or program at an accredited U.S. college or university other than the University of Utah
    • Successfully completing the University of Utah's English Language Institute Level 8 courses, with a grade of B or better, qualifies as an English waiver for undergraduate admissions only
  • International Baccalaureate and Advanced Placement English test scores.
  • IELTS Indicator is not approved for admissions at this time.