You are here:

Returning Students

 John R. Park Building

Welcome back!

If it has been less than one year since your last enrollment, then you may still be eligible to enroll without applying for readmission.  Matriculated undergraduate students are eligible to register for classes for one year from the term of their last enrollment.

For example, an undergraduate student who takes classes during fall semester but does not register in the spring semester, may still register for three terms (summer, fall, spring).

If you do not register and attend classes during one of those three terms, you will need to reapply for admission. Returning students are encouraged to speak to an Academic Advising Center advisor before submitting an application.

Please note: Students who were previously admitted conditionally (missing high school core courses) must still complete the missing courses, either here or at another regionally accredited institution.

Admissions Process

Semester Application Deadline* Notifications will begin: 
Spring 2019 November 1 September 15 
Summer 2019 March 15  January 15 
Fall 2019 April 1 January 15 

*Applications submitted with all the required documentation after the final deadline will be charged an additional $40 late processing fee and will be processed and considered on a space-available basis. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as the University could close applications without notice after the final deadline.

Apply for admission by submitting the Application for Undergraduate Admission. Your Social Security Number can help expedite enrollment and financial aid, but is not required.

The non-refundable application fee for domestic students is $55. (An additional $40 late fee will be required after the deadline.)  Please do not send cash. We recognize that some applicants may be faced with financial constraints in paying the application fee. In these cases, students may submit a Request for Admission Application Fee Waiver form. If a student does not meet any of the listed indicators of economic need as noted on the Fee Waiver form, an application fee waiver may be granted for documented hardships with a letter from a school counselor, employer, or ecclesiastical leader. Letters must be on letterhead and provide contact information, and will not be accepted from family members or friends. Fee waiver requests can be sent to

If you have attended another college or university during your time away from the University, you must have your transcripts sent to the Office of Admissions. An official college transcript must be sent to the Office of Admissions directly from each school attended. The University of Utah accepts electronic transcripts as official from the following agencies only: Docufide by Parchment, National Student Clearinghouse, AVOW, Credentials Solutions, and Scrip-Safe. Please send electronic transcripts to
Track your application online. The University follows a rolling admission system, so applications will be processed as they are completed.  Your application will not be processed until we have received all documents and fees. Admission decisions will be mailed.

Making false or misleading statements on the application or failing to list all institutions attended may result in cancellation of admission status and/or loss of credit.

Admission requirements, deadlines and fees are subject to change without prior notice.

All documents submitted to the University of Utah become its property and will not be released to students or other institutions.  Admission applications and transcripts are destroyed after one year for students who do not attend.

Admission Standards

Students seeking readmission with additional transfer credit must have a minimum cumulative transfer GPA of 2.6.

Students who have been suspended or are on academic probation must satisfy all terms of the suspension/probation agreement.  They must meet with an advisor in the Academic Advising Center to obtain a release from their suspension/probation at the time they apply for readmission. Learn more about academic probation and suspensions.

Leave of Absence

You may request a leave of absence for up to two years for an “official assignment” usually served with a nonprofit or governmental organization and normally without compensation, e.g. military duty, Peace Corps, VISTA or church service.

Last Updated: 3/11/19