Residency – Utah High School Graduates

Residency for tuition purposes: UTAH HIGH SCHOOL GRADUATES

Resources regarding Utah residency requirements and the reclassification process for in-state tuition rates.



Spring 2022 applications are now open. 


There are different tuition rates for Utah residents and for non-residents, based on Utah State Law, 53B-8-102 and Board of Regents R512 Policy. Your initial residency classification will be determined when your admissions application is reviewed. Once admitted, your official letter of acceptance will include your classification. If you are classified as a non-resident but meet the requirements of a policy or exception for resident status, you may apply to change your status.

The resources listed above describe the various ways in which students may be eligible for in-state (resident) tuition under the provisions of Utah state law. These documents explain the general rule of the law as well as exceptions that may make students eligible to waive the time requirement and apply for residency immediately. Review these materials carefully. Non-resident students who are eligible for reclassification of their residency status must submit a complete reclassification, certification, or military form by the applicable term deadline with all required supporting documentation.

Per University of Utah policy, incoming graduate students, including those in the Medical and Law programs, may apply under the Undergraduate policy or any other policy if they qualify prior to the start of their graduate studies. Graduate students who begin their graduate program as a non-resident are only eligible to reclassify under the Graduate policy, which includes completing 40 graduate-level semester hours prior to reclassification. Medical and Law students are ineligible to reclassify after beginning their program. Dental students admitted as non-residents are ineligible for reclassification at any time. The only exceptions to Graduate, Medical, Law, and Dental residency policy are for students proving eligibility through military or American Indian exceptions, or the House Bill 144 tuition waiver as described below.

Tuition waivers for non-residents

These tuition waivers apply to students who attended a Utah high school for at least three years and graduated. Information on special tuition waivers for foreign nationals and other non-residents can be found in Board of Regents Policy R513.

  • The House Bill 144 Non-Resident Tuition Waiver is explained in R513-13 Exemption for Certain Students with Utah High School Graduation. Information on House Bill 144 is also available here on the admissions website.
  • The House Bill 118 Non-Resident Tuition Waiver is explained in R513-14 Exemption of Nonresident Tuition for Certain Foreign Nationals. Information on House Bill 118 is also available here on the admissions website.
Residency Office Contact Information:

(801) 581-8761, Option 5