International Students Next Steps

Admitted International Undergraduate Students




Congratulations on your admission to the University of Utah! There are a few things you will need to do to get ready to become a Ute. Make sure that you complete each of the steps below after you have been admitted to the University of Utah.

  • Students who will be attending the University of Utah on an F-1 student visa, must request an I-20 “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status” from the Office of Admissions. We will begin processing your I-20 once you have been admitted and submitted all the required documentation.

  • Admitted students must Confirm Their Intent to Enroll to reserve their spot at the University of Utah. You will not be able to register for International Student Orientation or begin the class registration process until you have confirmed your intent to enroll.

    Confirm Intent

    Your uNID & UMail Account:
    - In order to confirm your intent to enroll you first must log on to Campus Information Services (CIS) and set up your account. Login using your University Student ID number (uNID), which is in your admitted email, and your temporary password, which is your birthdate in the MMDDYY format. You will be prompted to change your password the first time you log in to CIS.
    - Your uNID and password are used to access your University E-mail account (UMail). After changing your CIS password you will be able to login to your UMail account. Students are advised to check their UMail accounts regularly, or to forward their UMail to an active e-mail address. Once admitted, all University of Utah communication will be sent directly to the UMail address.

  • If you are interested in living on-campus, you must complete the online housing application and pay the application fee. To learn more about housing, visit the website. University housing is not automatically assigned to students. Your housing on-campus is only confirmed once you have paid the housing deposit and received verification of accommodation. Students are advised to apply for on-campus housing as soon as possible.

  • - International Student Orientation is mandatory for students on an F-1 or J-1 visa ONLY! All other visa type, i.e. H4, Asylum, Refugee, Permanent Residents, F-2 visa holder, etc. will need to attend the New Student Orientation. You cannot register for orientation until you have Confirmed Your Intent to Enroll. Once you have confirmed, International Student & Scholar Services will contact you with more details about registration for orientation. Their website has more information about what to expect during International Student Orientation and the class registration process.
    - Students not attending the University of Utah on an F-1 student visa must attend domestic student orientation through New Student & Family Programs.

  • - Once you have logged into CIS and Confirmed Your Intent to Enroll, international students are eligible to register for classes. To determine your registration date, which is the first day that you can begin registering for classes online, login into CIS and click “View your Registration Dates” under the “Registration” heading. On, or any time after your registration date, you may add/drop available classes to your schedule through CIS. For detailed, step-by-step instructions about how to find and add classes to your schedule, please click here. In addition, Office of the Registrar has a useful FAQ page that answers many common questions.- Incoming students are welcome to contact an academic advisor prior to registering for classes. A list of academic program advisors, as well as information about how to schedule an appointment can be found on the Academic Advising Center website.

    - Please note that non-visa seeking first-year freshman and transfer students (U.S. Citizens) must attend an on-campus orientation before being able to register for classes. Incoming international students can sign up to receive academic advising, but it is not required in order to register for classes.

  • - Students admitted to the University of Utah must submit proof of immunization before starting classes. You can read more about the required immunizations and how to make an appointment to receive these immunizations on the Student Health Center website.
    - International students attending the University of Utah on an F-1 student visa are automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan administered by United Healthcare. You can read more about this plan, as well as how to apply for a waiver on the Student Health Center website.

  • - Before starting classes at the University of Utah, all incoming freshman must submit proof of high school graduation to the Office of Admissions. Official final high school transcripts with a graduation date or an official copy of your diploma/degree can be mailed or delivered in person to the International Admissions Office. All documents submitted to the University of Utah become property of the University and cannot be returned to the student.

    - Incoming transfer students must submit an official copy of their college transcripts with all grades posted in order to eligible for transfer credit. Students who do not submit proof of graduation or final transcripts will have a hold placed on their account and will not be able to register for classes.

    - Confirm Document Status
    Students may check the status of their documents using the online Application Tracker.

  • Several departments at the University of Utah provide scholarship opportunities for incoming international students. Additionally, there are several online databases that international students can use to look for outside scholarships. You can see a list of select scholarships and searchable databases online here.