English language proficiency is critical to your success at the University of Utah. English proficiency may be demonstrated by transfer applicants in one of the following ways:
Approved English Proficiency Exams
- iBT/TOEFL: 80 or above
- IELTS: 6.5 or above
*All test dates must be within two years of application for scores to be valid.
Other Ways to Demonstrate English Proficiency
- Receive a grade of “C” or better in a college-level English Composition course (equivalent to WRTG 1010 – Intro to Academic Writing at the U or WRTG 2010 – Intermediate Writing: Academic Writing & Research) at a regionally-accredited U.S. college or university
- An associate, bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree from a regionally-accredited U.S. college or university completed within two years of admittance
The following applicants do not need to submit proof of English proficiency:
- Native speakers of English who are citizens of Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland.)
- Continuing students currently enrolled at the University of Utah and moving from one degree level to another, or one program to another (with a break of no more than two years between the 'change' from one degree level/program to the next).
How to send your Test Score Officially
Please have your scores sent electronically to the University of Utah Office of Admissions. You can do this by using the following Codes:
- SAT Code: 4853
- ACT Code: 4274
- TOEFL Code: 4853
- IELTS: Please contact your testing center and have them send your results directly to the University of Utah Office of Admissions
All other approved scores will need to be sent to 4853
*If the name on your test result is different from the name you put on your application, please contact email@example.com with the name information so we can match the score with your application.