Graduate English Proficiency
English language proficiency is critical to your success at the University of Utah. Please note that individual departments may have English proficiency requirements that are different than those listed below. Applicants are advised to verify their program specific requirements and note that meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission in to a graduate program.
English proficiency may be demonstrated by graduate applicants in one of the following ways:
- TOEFL iBT: minimum score of 80
- IELTS: An overall minimum band score of 6.5
*All test dates must be within two years of admission for scores to be valid.
- An associate, bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree from a regionally-accredited U.S. college or university completed within two years of admittance
- A bachelor’s degree or higher completed within the last two years from an officially-recognized
college or university in one of the following countries:
- Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland)
The following applicants do not need to submit proof of English proficiency:
- Native speakers of English who are citizens of Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland)
- Continuing students currently enrolled at the University of Utah and moving from one degree level to another, or one program to another (with a break of no more than two years between the 'change' from one degree level/program to the next)
If an applicant does not meet one of the standards outlined above, but feels their professional and/or educational experience merits English proficiency, please contact email@example.com for information on filing a Petition for English Proficiency.
How to Send your Test Scores Officially
Please have your scores sent electronically to the University of Utah Office of Admissions. You can do this by using the following Codes:
- TOEFL Code:4853
- IELTS: Please contact your testing center and have them send your results directly to the University of Utah Office of Admissions.
- *If the name on your test result is different from the name you put on your application, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with the name information so we can match the score with your application