You are here:

Avoid I-20 Delays

The Office of Admissions will review a student’s file for I-20 issuance after a student has been admitted to the University of Utah and the official admission letter is issued. This includes review of financial and identification documents. Your patience is appreciated as the time that it takes to evaluate all documentation and to process an I-20 varies from applicant to applicant. Paying attention to the following points will help you to avoid unnecessary delays:

Document submission

Submit the required documents for I-20 processing early (rather than waiting until after the admission decision is made); however, documents must not be older than 6 months at time of I-20 We will have to contact you to request updated (more recent) documents if needed, which can delay your I-20 processing. When submitting documents by e-mail, please send them as an attachment and have good resolution/quality. All information needs to be clearly visible. Only submit documents asked for; the more documents or duplicates you submit for proof of funding, the longer it will take to finalize your I-20. Instead of submitting multiple types of bank statements, consider requesting a Consolidated Account Summary from your bank.

We will expect you to submit the following:

  • A copy of the biographical page of your passport.
  • Proof of funding that shows coverage for the University of Utah annual estimated expenses
  • Affidavit of support, if the proof of funding is not on your name.
  • Home country address (foreign address) information, if not indicated on application.

Additional materials are required for students, who are currently in the US (or have an active SEVIS record):

  • Phone number (if not indicated on application)
  • S. physical address (if not indicated on application)
  • Completed International Transfer Form with released SEVIS record (only for students transferring from another U.S. university/school).


  • Has to be valid and current at the moment of I-20 issuance. It should accurately reflect your name – if there are errors, please apply to your government to have them corrected before your I-20 is issued since an I-20 will match the data on your passport copy submitted to the Office of Admissions.

Foreign and U.S. addresses

  • have to be as detailed as possible for I-20 purposes. Write the full address and include your country, city, postal code, street, building number, and apartment number (if applicable). The U.S. address needs to be your physical address; it cannot be a P.O. Box, an organization’s address, or an address of your friends/relatives. If you have left the U.S., it can be either where you lived before departing the U.S. or where you will be living when you re-enter the U.S.

Proof of funding

  • The requirement is to show liquid funds that a student will be able to withdraw in order to cover academic and living expenses. The funds need to be available for your studies by the beginning of the first semester. Please ensure that you consider currency fluctuation when determining the amount of funds to show — not having enough funds available in your account at the time of I-20 issuance can cause delays as the Office of Admissions will need to contact you for additional proof of funding.

Acceptable proof of funding:

  • Bank statements that clearly indicate the current balance. Make sure that a financial document shows the name of the account holder, a date of issue, a currency type, the name of the bank and an account type (for instance, checking/savings/fixed deposit/investment accounts if the funds can be withdrawn for studies at the University of Utah).
  • Granted or approved education loans. Disbursement of the funds before I-20 issuance is optional.
  • Official letter from the agency or organization, indicating scholarship amount and duration of the funding. It should be on a letterhead with a handwritten signature from an authorized individual.
  • Proof of an awarded scholarship or a waived tuition amount by the University of Utah, verified by your department.

Unacceptable proof of funding:

  • Bank accounts created for certain purposes, other than education: retirement, life insurance etc.
  • Solvency certificates
  • Financial statements that do not show the current ending balance
  • Loans that are issued “in-principle”
  • Funds that will be frozen after the beginning of studies at the University of Utah
  • Provident funds that do not show the exact amount that can be withdrawn for educational purposes
  • Property funds
  • Salary statements or paystubs
  • Credit card account statements

Affidavit of support

  • If the financial statement is not in the student’s name, the account holder will need to fill out and submit an affidavit of The form must be completely filled out. See the link for an affidavit of support here:  Students, who will be receiving a government scholarship to study at the University of Utah, do not need to submit an affidavit of support, if their scholarship fully covers academic and living expenses.

Filling out an affidavit of support:

  • The name of the sponsor on the affidavit must match exactly the name on the bank statement. It is also easier to identify the sponsor if the address stated on the affidavit of support matches the address on the bank statement.
  • The sponsor is required to check or circle a correct semester (fall, spring or summer) and input the year when the student will begin studies at the University of Utah. The term and the year are also indicated on an admission letter.
  • There are two signature options at the bottom of the affidavit of support. Signatures have to be hand-written, electronic signatures are not accepted. The sponsor needs to sign only one box (option 1 OR option 2) and put a date when the document was signed.
    • Option 1 in the signature section means the sponsor is willing to provide all funds on the bank statement towards your education. If several sponsors are willing to share all of their funds indicated on the bank statement towards the student’s education, Option 1 needs to be completed.
    • Option 2 (partial responsibility) is chosen when there are several sponsors, who are willing to provide only a portion of their funds towards the student’s education. The amount the sponsor is willing to share needs to be indicated. The balance on the bank statement has to be higher than the amount indicated in Option 2 box of the affidavit of support.

International Transfer Form

  • A link to the Transfer Form is sent via e-mail on the third business day after admission to the University of Utah.  If you have been admitted, have an active SEVIS record, and haven’t received your form on time, please contact the Office of Admissions to re-send you a link. Please print the form, fill out the student information section and submit it to an International Student Advisor/DSO at your current US institution. An Advisor will complete the document and send it to our office  and trasnfer your SEVIS/immigration record to the University of Utah.


  • In order to receive an I-20 for your dependents, who will accompany you in the US, please notify the Office of Admissions about your decision and send us the following additional materials for each dependent:
  • Copy of the passport (biographical page only)
  • Proof of funding: $3000 per person.

Dependents are spouses and unmarried children younger than 21 years old. If your dependents plan to enter the United States after your arrival to the University of Utah, you need to request an I-20 for each of them through the International Student and Scholar Services office:

How to Mail Documents

  • Mailing option. As soon as you are notified of your admission by the University of Utah, Office of Admissions, please inform us regarding a mailing option of your choice by submitting an Eshipglobal express mailing order, or by sending us an email about a “regular mail’ or a “pick-up at the window” preference. Please follow the guidelines emailed to you on mailing options after admission. Not placing an express order until after your I-20 is issued could cause significant I-20s are not given to relatives or friends, for whom we have not received an authorization letter for pick-up.
  • Keep in touch. Actively check your e-mails and application tracking system to find out if we need additional information from you. Please inform our office of any changes in your situation, including but not limited to changes in your mailing address, email address, passport change, dependents information or immigration status.
Last Updated: 7/13/18