You are here:

Frequently Asked Questions

Below are answers to questions that have been asked by students. Most questions will fall under the five categories. If, after reviewing this page, you still need help, please contact us.

Application Questions

Transcripts & Credit Evaluation

Visa & Immigration Questions

Academics & Scholarships

Admitted Student Questions

Once an applicant has submitted all the required admissions materials, it takes several weeks for processing. Admitted international undergraduates will be notified starting on the University notification date (varies by term) and on a rolling basis thereafter. If, at the initial evaluation not all application materials have been received, the Office of Admissions will notify the applicant. After the required document is received, it will take several additional weeks for processing.

  1. Academic departments review applications.
      • Once the academic department admissions committee decides which applicants they want to recommend for admission, the department will complete the department referral form advising the Office of Admissions of their decisions.
  2. Office of Admissions processes referrals, reviews qualifications, and notifies applicants.
      • Once academic departments complete the department referral form, the Office of Admissions does a final review of all applicants to determine that they meet the minimum Graduate School admissions requirements.
      • If the applicant meets all admissions criteria and the academic department has recommended them for admission to their respective degree program, the Office of Admissions will complete the admission process and notify the applicant.
      • The official letter of acceptance will be mailed from the Office of Admissions.
  3. Notification of an admissions decision.
      • When a decision has been posted in an applicant’s ApplyYourself account, an e-mail will be sent directing the applicant to login and view the decision.
      • Applicants who are admitted will see this decision in their ApplyYourself account, and a formal acceptance letter will be mailed from the Office of Admissions.

Undergraduate Applicants: Undergraduate applicants do not need to submit letters of recommendation, but may do so if they choose by e-mailing them directly to

Graduate Applicants: Graduate applicants may need to submit letters of recommendation. Applicants should check with the academic program in which they are interested for information on all departmental requirements, including letters of recommendation. If letters of recommendation are required, they will be submitted through the ApplyYourself application. 

Test scores can be sent to the Office of Admissions at the University of Utah using the ETS code 4853. The Office of Admissions does not have a department code. You may leave this section blank or enter 0000. Some graduate programs require test scores to be sent directly to the department. Please check your department’s website to verify where your test scores should be sent.  

In some cases, yes, the University of Utah will waive the application fee for international applicants. Under no conditions will a waiver cover the $40 late application fee.

Undergraduate Applicants: The University of Utah may look to waive the application fee for an undergraduate applicant if all of the following conditions are met:

  • The applicant has permanent resident, asylum, or refugee status.
  • The applicant already resides in the United States and will not be requesting an F-1 or J-1 visa.
  • The applicant can document financial hardship.

If the applicant meets all of the above requirements, they must then submit an Admissions Application Fee Waiver form to

Graduate Applicants: Some academic programs cover the cost (or the partial cost) of the application fee for their applicants. Please check the department’s website to determine your exact application fee. McNair Scholars or participants in the Vietnam Education Foundation are eligible to have their application fee waived, but they must upload proof of status to the online graduate application.

Undergraduate Applicants: Undergraduate applicants can check the status of their applications using our Admissions Tracker.

Graduate Applicants: If you have not yet received an admissions decision, you may check your progress in the ApplyYourself application .*

If you are admitted, you will receive a formal letter of acceptance in the mail from the Office of Admissions. You may still need to send us final documentation, even after receiving your letter of acceptance. You may check the status of your required documents using our Admissions Tracker.

*Applicants to the following programs should contact their graduate program of interest in order to check the status of their applications:

  • Executive MBA
  • Full-time MBA
  • MBA Online
  • Professional MBA
  • Master of Healthcare Administration
  • Master of Real Estate Development
  • Master of Science in Finance
  • Master of Science in Information Systems

Readmission is open to students who left the University of Utah for a period of time and have not attended another institution since their departure. Students who have attended another school since leaving the University of Utah must apply as a transfer studentnot a readmit.

Students who left the University of Utah in good standing and did not submit a Leave of Absence form can reapply using the online application. Demonstration of English proficiency is valid for two years after the student departed the University of Utah. Students who have been absent from the University of Utah for more than two years are required to submit an updated demonstration of English proficiency in the form of a TOEFL or IELTS score meeting the minimum requirement.

International students who previously attended the University of Utah and formally filed for a Leave of Absence through the International Student & Scholar Services should contact that office directly for information regarding their return.

If a student left the University of Utah on academic probation or suspension, they must satisfy the terms of their agreement before returning. Students should contact the Academic Advising Center to obtain a release from their probation or suspension before the Office of Admissions can review their application for readmission.

Yes, the University of Utah will accept a General Educational Development (GED) test in place of a high school diploma for admissions purposes. The minimum score required for admission is 550 and each subsection must be above 500. At this time the University of Utah only accepts the U.S. version of the GED and the official test score must be sent directly to the Office of Admissions.

Unofficial Transcript
An unofficial transcript is one that may not bear a school seal, but contains all of the relevant academic information of a student. Photocopies of transcripts are considered unofficial. Transcripts that are sent to the University of Utah via e-mail are considered unofficial, but can be used for international admissions decisions.

Official Transcript
Official transcripts bear the school seal and include the school Registrar's signature. Most official transcripts are sent to the University of Utah in an envelope closed with adhesive directly from the original school. The envelope must remain unopened, otherwise the transcript will no longer be considered official. Once an official transcript is received by the University of Utah, it becomes the University's property and cannot be returned or sent to another institution.

Transcripts e-mailed to the University of Utah from a school official are not considered official. Official electronic transcripts will be accepted through one of these certified services: AVOW, Credential Solutions Transcripts Network, Docufied by Parchment, National Student Clearing House or Script-Safe.

No. Applicants to the University of Utah cannot submit a transcript evaluation from an outside organization to complete their application. Transcript evaluations can be submitted in place of a translation, however we must also have a copy of the original transcript to complete the application.
Students do not need to convert their country specific GPA to University of Utah standards. Please submit your transcripts as they are and during the review process our evaluators will determine your GPA on a 4.0 scale. You can leave the self-reported GPA section of the application blank or enter your country specific GPA.

Undergraduate transfer students are required to submit transcripts from all colleges or universities previously attended. During the application review process, our evaluators will determine which classes will transfer to the University of Utah and award credit. The University of Utah does not provide transcript evaluation to prospective students who have not yet applied.

Admitted students will be sent a printed transfer credit evaluation with their letter of admissions. Students who have confirmed their intent to enroll will also be able to view their transfer credit by generating a DARS report.  For more information on how to generate a view a DARS report, please see the Office of Undergraduate Studies website. We advise all admitted undergraduate students to schedule an appointment with the University College Transfer Center to review their incoming credits and courses.

The University of Utah will accept completed degrees from regionally accredited U.S. institutions and those recognized by the Ministry of Higher Education in their respective country. Individual credits will not transfer from completed degrees.

Students enrolled at the University of Utah who achieved scores of 3, 4, or 5 in an Advanced Placement (AP) examination in high school may be awarded up to eight semester hours of credit for year-long courses, and three semester hours of credit for half-year courses. AP scores must be sent directly from College Board to the University of Utah. We will not review AP scores printed on high school or college transcripts. Click here to see a chart of how AP credits apply to University of Utah General Education (pdf).

Students enrolled at the University of Utah who achieved scores of 5, 6, or 7 on higher level International Baccalaureate (IB) examinations may be awarded up to eight semester hours of university credit in each higher level examination, or 30 semester hours of credit for the completion of the IB Diploma. Matriculated students must submit a formal request for evaluation to the Office of Admissions to have credit recorded on their records. IB scores and General Education waivers are evaluated according to the current policy at the time the request is made for an evaluation. Click here to access the application and read more about the IB credit policy at the University of Utah.

Applicants who have had their permanent resident card for less than five years will be reviewed by International Admissions. This helps us review applications more quickly because many permanent residents have transcripts from countries other than the United States. Once admitted, permanent residents who enroll at the University of Utah are considered to be domestic students and are eligible for residency consideration for tuition purposes and merit-based scholarships.

Permanent residents do not need to submit I-20 documentation, however they must send a scanned copy of their permanent resident card to

Students attending the University of Utah on an F-1 student visa are eligible to bring their spouse and child(ren), under 21 years old, on an F-2 dependent visa.  In addition to the required I-20 documentation, you must submit the following documents for each of your dependents
  • Additional proof of funding in the amount of $3,000 (per person)
  • Biographical (photo) page of the passport for each person

If your dependents plan to enter the country after the beginning of your studies, or if you plan to apply for your dependents’ J-2 visas, please contact the International Student and Scholar Services for issuance of their I-20.

Documents required to process the I-20 Certificate of Eligibility are not necessary for admission. Students are welcome to submit their documents at any time, however the financial statement and Affidavit of Support must be dated within six months from the date of I-20 issuance to be valid. The required I-20 documents do not need to be “official” and therefore can be scanned and sent directly to

Students who are admitted and plan to study at the University of Utah on an F-1 student visa with non-immigrant status, must be issued a valid I-20 “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status.” If an admitted student does not require an F-1 visa, then an I-20 is not required. Students with immigrant status, such as permanent resident, asylum and refugee, will apply to the University of Utah as international applicants, but do not need to apply for an I-20.
The University of Utah processes I-20’s once a student has been officially admitted. I-20 documents are not considered in the admissions process, and therefore may be submitted at any time. The Office of Admissions will begin processing a student's I-20 once they have been admitted and all their documents are on file, so it is advised to submit them early. Our website details what documents are required for Undergraduate and Graduate I-20 issuance. All I-20 documents can be scanned and sent directly to 

At this time there are limited scholarships available to incoming international students. However, many departments offer funding to students once they have declared their major and have completed at least two semesters at the University of Utah.

You can see a list of some of the scholarships available to international students, as well as searchable databases for outside scholarships here.

Yes, the English Language Institute (ELI) delivers a quality preparatory intensive English language program at the University of Utah. ELI provides an academically-based curriculum and cultural orientation for international students, visitors, and members of the local community. ELI offers 5 sessions of intensive English training each academic year in addition to other special short-term programs. Each session is 8 weeks long. The English Language Institute offers 8 levels of proficiency from novice to advanced. ELI students who complete level 8 of the program with a "B" average or higher may use this to demonstrate English proficiency applying as an undergraduate to the University of Utah.

The University of Utah does not admit incoming undergraduate students directly to their major. Applicants are advised to select the “pre-major” that best fits their anticipated major on their application. The “pre-major” is not binding and there is no penalty if a student changes their major while at the University of Utah. Once admitted, students are encouraged to meet directly with their major advisor to discuss the details of declaring their anticipated major.

The University of Utah does not offer conditional admission for any programs. If a student is unable to demonstrate English proficiency, we encourage applicants to consider the English Language Institute (ELI), which is located on our Salt Lake City campus. Students who complete the ELI Bridge Program (levels 7 and 8) with a "B" average or higher may be considered as having demonstrated English proficiency for undergraduate admissions purposes. Students may also re-take their English proficiency exam and submit a score that meets the University of Utah minimum requirement before the final deadline.

Students admitted to the University of Utah must submit proof of immunizations before starting classes. You can read more about the required immunizations and how to make an appointment to receive these immunizations on the Student Health Center website.

Undergraduate Applicants: International undergraduates admitted to the University of Utah may not defer their application or admission. If a student cannot attend the term for which they applied, they must submit a new application and pay the application fee for the updated term. Application materials and test scores less than two years old can be used for the updated term, however students must submit documentation of any new coursework.

Graduate Applicants: International graduate students admitted to the University of Utah may be able to defer their admission for up to one semester. Students can only defer with the permission of their department and only once within the same program or application.

Applicants that have been granted legal immigrant or permanent U.S. resident status, or have obtained asylum or refugee status under U.S. immigration law are classified for purposes of resident status according to the same criteria applicable to U.S. citizens. These students must submit verification of their statuses with their residency applications. Residency reclassification will not be granted to foreign nationals without proof of permanent resident, asylum, or refugee status in the United States. More information on applying for in-state (resident) tuition may be found here.

If you attended a Utah high school for three years and graduated, you may be eligible to apply for a waiver of the non-resident portion of tuition. If you meet ALL of the following requirements, you may qualify for resident tuition rates:

  • Is a foreign national legally admitted to the United States;
  • Attended a Utah high school in Utah for three or more years; and
  • Graduated from a Utah high school or received the equivalent of a high school diploma in Utah.

To learn more, open the House Bill 118 PDF to learn more about the requirements and application process.

Admitted international students must register for International Student Orientation. To see a full list of the next steps for admitted students, please visit our page for Undergraduates or Graduates.

First, check to see which office placed the hold on your account by logging into CIS and viewing the “Student Records” section.  An upcoming hold may appear several weeks before it will be activated, so mind the date that hold begins.  

The Office of Admissions will place a hold a student’s account when required materials (usually final, official transcripts or degrees/diplomas) have not been received.  New students can confirm what documents are missing by logging into the Application Tracker and viewing the “Admitted Student” checklist.  If it is unclear what is needed to remove the hold, or if a student has an extraordinary circumstance that prevents them from submitting the required document, please e-mail: or speak to a member of our team at the International Admissions service window in SSB.
Last Updated: 7/13/18