International Transfer Admission




Transfer applicants to the University of Utah are students who have attended another college or university. Students may be applying from another U.S. institution or a post-secondary school in another country.

**Please note that if you are applying for the Fall 2019 semester, are currently located outside of the United States, and are seeking a F1 student visa, we cannot guarantee we will be able to issue an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility if your application and immigration materials were not submitted before June 1st, 2019. Any applications and immigration documents submitted after June 1st, 2019 will be considered on an individual basis. 

Apply for admission by submitting the application for undergraduate admission.

Students at the U


  • Apply

    - Apply for admission by submitting the application for undergraduate admissions. Be sure to fill out the application completely, as it will be used to determine the admissibility. Once an application has been started, you will be able to save and continue at any time until submitted. After you have submitted your application, changes cannot be made.


    - The non-refundable application fee for international students is $65. Fees cannot be waived for visa holders. A $40 late fee will be required after the admissions deadline. Applications are not complete until the application fee has been paid. Please do not send cash.

    *Please note that the application must be submitted 24 hours before the application fee can be paid in person or by phone.

  • Deadlines

    - Before submitting your application please be aware of the application deadlines.

  • Required Documents

    - Transcripts (mark sheets, school records, grades) for all post-secondary schools attended. Official English translations must be provided if the transcripts are only in the native language.

    - If transfer applicants have fewer than 30 transferrable credit hours they must also submit secondary school records. This includes transcripts (mark sheets, school records, grades) for secondary school (9-12). Official English translations must be provided if the transcripts are only in the native language.

    -Have at least a 2.6 transfer GPA.

    - Unofficial transcripts are acceptable to complete the admissions application and can be scanned or e-mailed directly to

    - Before starting classes at the University of Utah, students must submit an official copy of their post-secondary school transcripts and proof of graduation directly to the Office of Admissions. If admitted students have less than 30 transferrable credit hours, students must also submit an official copy of their secondary school transcript and proof of graduation directly to the Office of Admissions in addition to any post-secondary transcripts.

    - If you have taken the GED exam in place of a high school diploma, please have your official GED scores sent directly from the GED website.

    - Official printed transcripts can be dropped off in a closed envelope sealed with adhesive at the International Admissions service window in the Student Services Building (SSB) or mailed to:

               The University of Utah
               International Admissions
              201 South 1460 East, Room 250s
              Salt Lake City, UT 84112 USA

    *Please do not send official international transcripts via email or fax as they will not be accepted as official.

    - If your international school uses the following electronic transcript services they will be considered official:
               Credentials Solutions
               National Student Clearing House
               E-Scrip Safe

    *When requesting your transcripts using any of these services please use this email

  • Proof of English Proficiency

    - English language proficiency is critical to your success at the University of Utah. Please see how transfer applicants can demonstrate English proficiency.

  • Track Your Application Status

    Your application will be evaluated once we receive a completed application, application fee, and all required documentation. The status of your application can be tracked here.

    Please allow 7-10 business days for the online tracker to reflect newly received materials.

  • Course Transfer Standards

    Transfer credit earned at other U.S. regionally accredited colleges and universities is normally accepted for advanced standing if the work is parallel in nature to programs offered at the University of Utah, and if grades D- or better have been earned in the credited courses. Please note: Prerequisite courses and major courses may require higher grades. Check with your major advisor for additional information. The transfer evaluation and summary of transfer credit is subject to audit and re-evaluation. Any appeals for credit not recognized by the University of Utah for transfer should be initiated in the Office of Admissions.

    Students who have a U.S. Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree, or have completed the general education program at another Utah state-supported college or other university are considered to have satisfied the University of Utah's general education requirements. Also, completion of an Associate of Science or Associate of Arts degree from a regionally accredited comprehensive community college will satisfy the University of Utah's intellectual exploration and writing portion of general education requirements. The mathematics and American institutions requirements must be completed, if not included in the associate degree. Additional graduation requirements in mathematics, writing, language, etc. are required for graduation. An Associate of Applied Science degree does not clear general education requirements.