International Freshmen Admissions




Freshman applicants who are completing or have completed their secondary education (high school) and have not yet attended any post-secondary institution (college or university). If you have taken AP, IB or A-level coursework and received college credit, you will still apply as a freshman as long as you have not previously enrolled in another accredited post-secondary institution (college or university).



  • Apply

    Apply for admission by submitting the Common Application. Be sure to fill out the application completely, as it will be used to determine admissibility. Once an application has been started, you will be able to save and continue at any time until submitted. After you have submitted your application, changes cannot be made. For more information on the Common Application, you can find the Common App guide for first time students here.

    Application fees
    The non-refundable application fee for international students is $65. Fees cannot be waived for visa holders. Applications are not complete until the application fee has been paid. Please do not send cash.

    F1 visa applicants who currently live outside the US
    If you will be seeking an F-1 student visa, we cannot guarantee we will be able to issue an initial I-20 Certificate of Eligibility if both of the following have not taken place before the deadlines below:

    • An admissions decision has been reached
    • All immigration documents have been received and verified

    For any further questions related to this timeline please contact our office.  The immigration document deadlines for students living outside the United States are as follows:

    • Spring: November 1
    • Summer: April 1
    • Fall: July 1
  • Deadlines

    Before submitting your application please be aware of the application deadlines and I-20 document deadlines.

  • Required Documents

    - Transcripts (mark sheets, school records, grades) for secondary school (9-12). Official English translations must be provided if the transcripts are only in the native language.

    - We require official transcripts. We will however accept unofficial copies of transcripts for any schools outside of the U.S. to complete your application. Please note that we will require official copies of your transcripts should you be admitted. Unofficial transcripts can be sent to us directly at

    - Before starting classes at the University of Utah, students must submit an official copy of their secondary school transcript and proof of graduation directly to the Office of Admissions.

    - If you have taken the U.S GED exam in place of a high school diploma, please have your official U.S GED scores sent directly from the GED website. We do not accept non-U.S. GEDs.

    - Official printed transcripts can be dropped off in a closed envelope sealed with adhesive at the International Admissions service window in the Student Services Building (SSB) or mailed to:

                 The University of Utah
                 International Admissions
                 201 South 1460 East, Room 250s
                 Salt Lake City, UT 84112 USA

    *Please do not send official international transcripts via email or fax as they will not be accepted as official.

    - If your international school uses the following electronic transcript services they will be considered official:
                 Credentials Solutions
                 National Student Clearing House

    *When requesting your transcripts using any of these services please use this email

  • Proof of English Proficiency

    English language proficiency is critical to your success at the University of Utah. Please see how freshman applicants can demonstrate English proficiency.

  • Track Your Application

    Your application will be evaluated once we receive a completed application, application fee, and all required documentation. The status of your application can be tracked here.

    Please allow 7-10 business days for the online tracker to reflect newly received materials.


Things to Remember

  • The University of Utah does not require nor do we review personal essays or letters of recommendation.
  • Students applying to the Business Scholars Program or the Honors College will be required to submit an essay as part of the application for admission to be considered for entry into either program. The essay prompt for each program can be found in their respective sections in the application for admission.
  • Remember to answer the University of Utah specific questions in the Common Application.
  • If you have any questions about admissions standards, please click the button below:

Admissions Standards