The University of Utah begins processing I-20 Certificates of Eligibility for students after they have been admitted. An I-20 is necessary to apply for an F-1 student visa through a U.S. Consulate abroad or to maintain F-1 student status in the United States.
These documents are not required for admission to the University of Utah. You may submit them as soon as possible, but we will not begin processing your I-20 until you have been admitted.
**Please note that if you are applying for the Fall 2019 semester, are currently located outside of the United States, and are seeking an F-1 student visa, we cannot guarantee we will be able to issue an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility if your application and immigration materials were not submitted before June 1st, 2019. Any applications and immigration documents submitted after June 1st, 2019 will be considered on an individual basis.
1. Financial Documents
A financial (bank) statement showing a minimum of $46,863 for Undergraduate (Bachelor's degree) and a minimum of $49,155 for Graduate students (Master's & Ph.D. degrees) or the equivalent in foreign currency, to cover the estimated expenses for I-20 purposes. The funds should be liquid, and the statement issue date must be within the last six months (costs are subject to change).
2. Financial Support Documents
Any student requiring an F-1 student visa must provide proof of funding greater than or equal to the annual estimated expense. If a student cannot provide a personal bank statement showing the required amount, the student must also have his or her sponsor submit a signed letter or affidavit of support indicating the sponsor’s intent to financially support the student.
- If the student has more than one sponsor, each sponsor must submit a separate, signed Affidavit of Support in addition to proof of funding.
- Applicants being sponsored by their embassy, government, or educational agency need only submit a letter of sponsorship from the appropriate authority.
For detailed information about financial documents
A copy of the first page of your current passport.
4. Sevis Transfer-In Form
Only required for students transferring their SEVIS record directly from another U.S. institution. The form can be found here..
Once all of these documents have been received, it can take several weeks for an I-20 to be issued once a student has been admitted.
All of the documents above can be scanned and e-mailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
I-20 Document Deadlines
MAILING OPTIONS FOR I-20
Students must select a method to have their I-20 mailed to them once it has been issued. For the fastest delivery, express mail is strongly recommended.
The University of Utah has joined with eShipGlobal to coordinate express mail services through DHL, FedEx or UPS. All communication and payment must go through eShipGlobal. Express mail is available to students at their own expense. Please register for express mail as early as possible. You do not need to wait until your I-20 has been issued to register for this service. Once your I-20 has been issued, the Office of Admissions will check to verify if you have registered for eShipGlobal. If not, your I-20 will be sent through air mail. Please follow the instructions below to use this service:
- Visit and complete the student registration form.
- You must activate the account through your e-mail address before proceeding.
- Once your account has been activated, you can prepare the shipping label:
1. From the main menu select “Receive Documents”
2. Select “Utah” from the map of the United States
3. Choose “University of Utah” from the menu and click “Continue”
4. Choose “Office of Admissions” from the menu and click “Continue”
5. Enter the address you would like your I-20 sent to in the “Receiver’s Address” section
- Your Student ID (uNID) was included in your letter of admission and e-mail
- If you do not have a uNID, or do not know your uNID, please enter "NOSID"
- Select the service and shipment amount you prefer and click “Continue”
- Enter your preferred payment information and click “Confirm Payment”
- eShipGlobal accepts Credit Card, Wire Transfer, and Paypal
- Once your payment has been verified, you will receive a confirmation e-mail with detailed information about your shipment. The Office of Admissions will receive this e-mail at the same time as you, so there is no need to forward it.- If the document is sent via express courier, it is trackable and should reach you within the time period quoted by the shipper. Additionally if the shipper reports it lost, we can immediately report your I-20 lost to the government and re-issue you another copy of your I-20.
Regular Airmail is not trackable and there is no guarantee when you will receive it. If your I-20 is lost in the mail, we must wait 30 days before we can report it lost to the government and re-issue it. Regular mail sent within the U.S. may take approximately 2-3 weeks to be delivered. Overseas mail takes approximately 4-6 weeks to be delivered.
- Students may authorize a friend, relative or University official to pick up their documents at the international office of admissions. We are located inside the Student Services Building (SSB). To authorize a pick up, please send an e-mail to email@example.com with the following information:
- Student Name, Birthdate, uNID (student ID) and contact information
- Full name of person authorized to pick up document and their contact information
- Statement authorizing person listed to pick up documents from the International Admissions Office
After You Receive Your I-20
Once you have received your I-20, you can apply for your F-1 visa. To acquire this, you must fill out the online visa application, pay the non-refundable application fee, and schedule a visa interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate (excluding citizens of Canada and Bermuda.) Follow the steps below to complete this process. For more detailed information and guidelines, we suggest visiting the Study in the States Website and U.S. Visa Exchange Website.
1. Pay the non-refundable application SEVIS I-901 Fee
- Only students with a new SEVIS number are required to pay the fee
- Print the receipt as proof of payment for your visa interview
2. Complete the Online Visa Application
- Once completed, print the application form confirmation page to bring to your visa interview
- You will be required to upload a photo to complete the application
3. Schedule Visa Interview
Schedule a visa interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Be sure to take all required documents with you to the interview, including:
- Nonimmigrant Visa Application (Form DA-160)
- Application Fee payment receipt
- I-20 Certificate of Eligibility
- Additional documents may be required. Review instructions on the website of the Embassy or Consulate where you will apply.