HIGH SCHOOL COUNSELOR NEWSLETTER
Hello counselors! Welcome to our first newsletter this semester! The school year is now in full swing, and at the University of Utah that means new energy and possibilities. This month is full of events for counselors and students that will introduce you to our University of Utah family and the endless possibilities that await your students. When you receive invitations to our events, we hope that you will RSVP and join us. Below you will find some updates on the application process and information on upcoming events.
Things You Should Know
- Our application process has some new changes this year! The freshman application is now through the Common Application and students can search for us there.
- Students can also apply for the Honors College and Business Scholars in the Common Application. There is a section where they can indicate if they are interested in these programs.
- Our priority application date for Fall 2020 has been moved up to November 1st, 2019. This is also the deadline for automatic consideration for merit-based scholarship consideration and the deadline for the Honors College. For a more detailed list of upcoming deadlines, as well as a helpful application timeline go here.
- We've had some questions about transcripts and if they need to be sent through the Common Application. Transcripts can still be sent through official electronic means. We accept the following services:
National Student Clearing House
Letters of Recommendation & personal essays
- We heard your questions about letters of recommendation and personal essays and we have updated information on the freshman page and the Common Application. Letters of recommendation and personal essays are not required for an application for admission to the University of Utah. To keep the admission evaluation process consistent across all applicants, the Office of Admissions does not review letters of recommendation and personal essays submitted with an application for admission.
- However, please note that students applying to the Business Scholars Program or the Honors College will be required to submit an essay as part of the application for admission to be considered for entry into either program. The essay prompt for each program can be found in their respective sections in the application for admission.
- We encourage students to contact their admissions counselor if they have questions during the application process. Students can search for their assigned counselor here.
- If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to us! The Office of Admissions email is firstname.lastname@example.org and our phone number is 801-581-8761. And look for our survey next month to let us know what you would like to see in future newsletters!
events for counselors
High School Counselor Conference
Utah high school counselors are invited to attend our annual Counselor Conference on Thursday, September 19, 2019. Updates from admissions, financial aid and scholarships, and a variety of breakout sessions will be provided. As in years past, Continuing Education credit will be available for the conference. Register for the conference below! Register
Bringing the U to You Counselor Breakfast and Lunch
events for students
Connecting U Day
Connecting U is a chance for students to do more than just take a campus tour. They can visit academic departments, learn about life on campus and learn more about the admissions process, scholarships and financial aid.
Events are now open. Students can click below to register.
Bringing the U to You
Can't make it to campus? Good news! We're Bringing the U to You. We have events in Utah, California, Colorado, Nevada, Idaho and Illinois. Click the button below to find a city near you and register! Register
Science Day at the U
Science Day at the U is a great way for students to get some hands-on exposure to a variety of science programs. Students attend science workshops and experience first-hand the exciting research available at the U. During the program, one $3,000 scholarship and three $1,000 scholarship prizes will be awarded. The event will be Saturday, November 2 from 8:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. in the Student Union Building. Registration is required and begins in October. A downloadable flyer can be found here. Learn More