You are here:

Additional Graduate
Policies and Procedures

When processing graduate admissions applications and working with graduate students, please be cognizant of the following policies and procedures:

An offer of acceptance/admission is valid only for the semester for which an applicant is admitted.
  • If an applicant is unable to attend in his or her admit term, he or she should contact the academic program office for appropriate advising. Some programs may allow applicants to defer to the next available term. However, there are some programs that only admit for one term during the school year.
  • If the applicant is advised to reapply for a future term, he or she must complete and submit a new ApplyYourself online graduate admissions application and pay the submission fee before the application deadline.
If an applicant is admitted to graduate studies, he or she is required to provide an official transcript from all schools previously attended. Transcripts that were uploaded into ApplyYourself are not considered official.
  • To be considered official, a transcript must be sent directly from the other school to the Office of Admissions. Transcripts sent to the academic departments/programs will not be accepted as official copies.
  • The University of Utah accepts electronic transcripts as official from the following vendors:
    • Docufide by Parchment
    • National Student Clearinghouse
    • AVOW
    • Credential Solutions TranscriptsNetwork
    • Scrip-Safe
  • Electronic transcripts should be sent to
  • Transcripts may also be sent by postal mail to:
      • Office of Admissions, Graduate Admissions Division
        University of Utah
        201 South 1460 East
        Room 250S, SSB
        Salt Lake City, UT 84112
  • Documents submitted for admission to the University of Utah become the property of the University and will not be returned.
  • Students who fail to provide final academic credentials, including proof of degrees received, will receive a registration hold on their records which will prevent them from further registration until all missing credentials are received.
There are a number of academic programs that offer joint/dual degrees, such as MBA/JD, MBA/M. Arch, MD/PHD in Neuroscience, MPA/JD, and MPA/PHD in Social Work. It is important for academic departments to help their students understand the following information:
  • Students that apply for admission in joint/dual degree programs such as MBA/JD have two academic careers in PeopleSoft. MBA courses are registered in the Graduate Career while JD courses are registered under the Law Career. Remember that admission is good only for the term the student is admitted. If a student is admitted Fall Semester 2014 into both the MBA program and the JD program, the student must be registered in both careers in PeopleSoft to stay active in both programs. If the student registers only in the Law Career, the system will automatically discontinue the Graduate Career and the student will have to reapply for admission into the MBA part of the joint/dual degree program for a future term.
  • If a student who has been registered in both careers needs to register in only one career for a semester, the student must file a Leave of Absence for the academic program for the career for which he or she will not register. This will keep the student active in both careers. If a student must take a leave of absence from both programs, the student must file a leave of absence form for each program. Remember that graduate students must maintain continuous registration throughout their graduate career.
The University requires all new, transfer, and readmitted students born after December 31, 1956 to provide proof of immunity for measles, mumps, and rubella. As recommended by the American College Health Association, the Federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), and the Utah State Health Department, students must fulfill the requirement by providing evidence of immunity or the dates of having been vaccinated against the diseases.

Instructions and forms will be mailed to new, transfer, and readmitted students after admission to the University and must be returned to the Student Health Service by the second Friday of their first semester (Madsen Health Center, Level 1, 555 Foothill Blvd., Salt Lake City, UT 84112). Instructions are also available on the Student Health Center's website.

Questions regarding compliance requirements may be directed to the Immunization Program Office, (801) 585-6009. Students who have not complied with this requirement by the second Friday of their first semester will have a hold placed on their registration until the requirement has been met.

  • Once admitted and enrolled, graduate students are required by Graduate School policy to maintain continuous registration during the academic school year (inclusive of the fall and spring semesters).
  • If a graduate student cannot attend for a semester, in order to stay active in the University's computer system, he/she must file the appropriate paperwork requesting an official Leave of Absence through his/her academic department.
  • Details for the Leave of Absence process and the Leave of Absence form are found at the Registrar's website.
  • Students failing to maintain continuous registration and who have not been granted an official leave of absence will be discontinued in their graduate program. To return to their studies, these students are required to reapply for admission into their academic program by submitting the ApplyYourself online graduate admissions application and paying the application fee.
Once an applicant completes their admit term, if a change to their academic program/plan is necessary, the academic department must file a Change of Graduate Classification (CGC) Form through the Registrar's Office. One example of an appropriate time to use the CGC Form would be for a student that receives a Master's degree at the University of Utah and wishes to continue graduate study in the same department for the succeeding semester.
  • A graduate student who wishes to change from one Master's program to a different Master's program must apply through the ApplyYourself online graduate admissions application and pay the appropriate application fee.
  • A graduate student who changes majors for their doctoral degree must submit an ApplyYourself online graduate admissions application and pay the appropriate application fee.
  • The Office of Admissions classifies all applicants as either residents or non-residents for tuition purposes at the time of their admission to the University based on Utah State Law 53B-8-102 and Board of Regents Policy R512.
  • The University of Utah's institutional policy for residency reclassification and other resources are available online. We strongly recommend academic departments/programs refer students directly to the Office of Admissions for advice on residency reclassification requirements. The Residency Division can be reached at (801) 581-8761, option #5, or
  • Deadlines to apply for reclassification are:
    Fall Semester July 1
    Spring Semester November 1
    Summer Term April 1
Students who do not qualify for admission to the Graduate School may apply as non-matriculated students. Applicants admitted under a Non-matriculated status are not formally admitted to a degree-seeking program. If permitted, they may enroll in graduate level classes. Please note:
  • Non-matriculated students registering for one or more graduate level courses in their undergraduate career will be charged graduate tuition rates for all courses taken.
  • Some graduate level classes are restricted because of full enrollment, limited space, prerequisites, etc.
  • Credits earned by non-matriculated students may or may not apply to a graduate degree program. Graduate programs are designed and approved by faculty committees assigned to supervise each graduate student. Decisions on accepting course credit are made initially by these supervisory committees.
  • The number of non-matriculated hours that can be applied toward a graduate degree is limited to nine semester hours. Applying more than nine hours of non-matriculated work to the degree requires approval through the Graduate School upon the request of the Department Chair or Supervisory Committee Chair.
  • The Non-matriculated status creates an undergraduate career in the University's computer system (PeopleSoft), which means any classes a student registers for will show in an undergraduate career. Even though up to nine graduate level hours may be counted toward a higher degree, they will never show up on the graduate career in PeopleSoft nor as graduate-level work on a University of Utah transcript.
  • Grades received during non-matriculated status do not guarantee admission into a graduate program. When such students want to be considered for matriculated graduate status, they must apply for admissions to graduate studies through the ApplyYourself online graduate admissions application. Links to the application are found at each graduate program's website.
  • Students on a visa that allows them to enroll in classes may take non-matriculated classes with proof of English proficiency and with departmental approval, excluding F1 visa holders.
  • Students on an F1 visa may not take non-matriculated classes except under certain circumstances.
  • Any requests for exceptions to these general admission policies should be directed in writing to the Graduate Admissions Committee by the respective college or department.

Individuals wishing to apply as a Non-matriculated student must complete the online undergraduate application by the appropriate term deadline:

Fall Semester April 1
Spring Semester November 1
Summer Term March 15
Last Updated: 7/13/18