You are here:

International Graduate Admissions

Prospective graduate students, including University of Utah seniors, must apply for admission through the University of Utah ApplyYourself online application system, found at each graduate program's website.

International Admissions processes graduate applications for:

  • Applicants on any visa.
  • Applicants with refugee or asylum status.
  • Applicants who have had their permanent resident status for less than five years.

U.S. citizens whose schooling has been outside the U.S. are processed by Domestic Admissions. However, foreign credentials will be evaluated by International Admissions staff.

  • The same application is used by both domestic and international applicants.
  • An applicant should research their department's deadlines, requirements, and application process.
  • Applicants may apply to multiple academic programs. A separate and complete graduate admission application must be submitted for each program of interest through the University of Utah ApplyYourself online application system.
  • An application fee (and any applicable late fees) will be charged for each application submitted.
  • Former University of Utah graduate students wishing to resume their studies are required to reapply through the ApplyYourself online application system and pay all required application fees.
  • Current students planning a vacation semester should apply for a one semester leave of absence through the Registrar's Office. If they do not submit the paperwork prior to the term they are taking the vacation semester, they will need to reapply to the University of Utah.
  • Information in the admissions file is covered by the "Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act" and cannot be discussed or released to a third party other than a University official without the written permission of the applicant.

International applicants should apply a minimum of 60 days prior to the published term deadline:

Fall Semester April 1
Spring Semester November 1
Summer Term March 15
An additional $30 late fee will apply if applications are not submitted by the above deadline.
  • The fee for international graduate applicants is $65 per application.
  • Applicants applying after the University's published deadlines must pay a $30 late fee in addition to the processing fee.
  • Departments wishing to pay the processing fee for an international applicant may submit a campus order for the entire amount. Departments must provide the applicant's full name and birth date on the campus order.
  • Applicants must upload copies of transcripts from all schools attended, including the University of Utah, into the ApplyYourself online application system.
  • Uploaded transcripts are not considered official and are used for initial admissions calculations only. If admitted to the University of Utah, students must provide official copies of transcripts showing all work completed and degrees awarded for all previous college/university level schooling. To be considered official, transcripts must be in sealed envelopes and mailed directly from the schools attended to the Office of Admissions.
  • Only one copy of each transcript is required.
  • Official transcripts must be in their original language with official English translations (if the school attended does not routinely issue official transcripts in English).
  • If the applicant is still enrolled at the time of application, a final, complete transcript will be required if they are admitted.
  • If degrees awarded are not posted on the official transcript, the student must bring his or her original degree to campus or have the college/university of the originating degree mail an official copy directly to the Office of Admissions.
  • If a school attended does not issue official transcripts, applicants must contact the admissions office.
  • Proof of English proficiency is required unless the applicant is from an English speaking country (United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada excluding Quebec).
  • Minimum test scores for the University of Utah:
  • English proficiency exam scores are only valid for 2 years.
  • English proficiency exams other than the TOEFL and IELTS are not accepted.
  • Applicants are required to submit official copies of exam scores. Exams scores must come directly from the testing service to be considered official. Unofficial exam scores can be used as working copies to evaluate an applicant's file. Scores submitted by the applicant are not considered official. Test scores are downloaded weekly.
  • Applicants who have received a U.S. degree from a regionally-accredited institution and have not left the country for more than two years since receiving the degree can use their degree as proof of English proficiency.
  • Files will not be evaluated without proof of English proficiency.
  • Departments may establish higher score standards for proof of English proficiency. Files are not held in the admissions office for higher departmental English proficiency requirements.

The I-20 Certificate of Eligibility is a U.S. Government form issued by International Admissions once a student is accepted, proof of financial responsibility has been provided, and approval has been received from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). An applicant will take this form, along with notice of acceptance and proof of financial responsibility, to the visa officer of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their home country. If approved, the applicant is then granted a student visa (F1 Student Status) to enter the United States.

International Admissions processes I-20 Certificates of Eligibility for all undergraduate, graduate, medical, dental, and law students in the order that we receive the files and does not issue I-20's "on the spot."

In order for International Admissions to issue an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility, an applicant must provide:

  • Biographical Passport Page:
    • The first page of an applicant's passport is only needed for applicants requesting an I-20 from the University of Utah to verify an accurate name on the I-20 document.
    • An applicant's admissions file will be processed without the first page of his or her passport.
    • Students who have dependents must submit copies of the first page of the passport for each dependent coming to the U.S.
  • Proof of Financial Responsibility:
    • Proof of financial responsibility is not needed to evaluate an applicant's file, nor is it needed to accept a student. Proof of financial responsibility is required to issue an I-20.
    • Students requesting an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility will need to show proof of funding in the amount of $44,228.00. This amount is updated every year and is different for medical, dental, and law students.
      • This amount includes tuition, insurance, and living expenses for one year.
      • The bank statement needs to be dated within 6 months.
      • A breakdown of expenses for international students is available online.
    • Departments who are providing funding for students must show the entire amount for which they wish to provide funding for the year.
      • The full value of any tuition waiver should be included in the total amount.
      • Students who receive the full amount of funding from their department do not need to provide additional proof of funding.
    • Students must show proof of an additional $3,000 per dependent if they are including a spouse or children on their I-20.
    • Proof of funding for students with a change of graduate classification should be sent to the Office of Admissions and not the International Center.
    • Students who receive financial assistance in any form from the University must obtain a Social Security Number (SSN) in order to receive payment. When students arrive on campus, they must report to the International Center and obtain the proper work authorization before the local Social Security Office will issue a Social Security Number.
  • Transfer Form:
    • The transfer form is necessary to transfer the Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) record.
    • Students currently on an I-20 from another U.S. school, including English language centers, will need to have a completed transfer form sent from their current school to the Office of Admissions.
    • The form is sent out to the student with their acceptance letter and should be completed by the student's current school's International Center.
  • In order for his or her file to be evaluated, an applicant must have:
    • Submitted a complete application through the ApplyYourself online application system and paid the correct processing fee.
    • Uploaded transcripts from all colleges and/or universities attended to their ApplyYourself application.
    • Had proof of English proficiency sent to the Office of Admissions directly from the testing agency.
  • In cases where an international student has attended a U.S. school, domestic admission procedures are followed but the file is still handled by International Admissions.
  • Before a file is sent to the department, International Admissions reviews the following information:
    • Is the school accredited or recognized as an institution of higher learning by the Ministry of Education or approved accreditation agency of the country where the student attended school?
    • Is the degree earned considered comparable to a four-year bachelor's degree in the United States?
    • What grading scale is used? How does it compare to the four-point scale used in the United States?
      • Transcripts are converted and evaluated on a 4.0 scale unless it is not conducive to the transcript in question. In those instances, International Admissions will not convert grades or marks to a GPA. Instead, the average will be taken from the transcript, and that average given a letter grade of A, B, C, D, or E.
  • Files will not be evaluated if:
    • The department did not request the file be evaluated.
    • The institution is not recognized by the Ministry of Education in the country where the student attended school.
    • The degree is not recognized by the University of Utah as equivalent to a four year bachelor's degree or higher.
    • Proof of English proficiency has not been received or has expired.
    • English proficiency does not meet minimum admission requirements.
    • International Admissions did not receive transcripts from all schools previously attended. This does not include schools applicants are currently attending for the first semester.
  • If a file does not meet the standards for evaluation, the evaluator will send notification to the applicant with the reason why their file was not evaluated and indicate that reason in ApplyYourself. Departments may request a file that has not met these standards be evaluated with the understanding that the file will go to the Graduate Admissions Committee.
  • Academic departments are responsible for completing the Department Referral Form in ApplyYourself to notify the Office of Admissions of their recommendations.
    • Referrals should be completed 90 days prior to the beginning of the term to ensure time to process immigration documentation.
    • Referral results are queried through ApplyYourself. Referrals must be saved and have the current date on them to be pulled in the query. 
  • If a referral has already been submitted and processed and a department wishes to change the decision, term, program level, and/or funding, the department must submit a revised referral through ApplyYourself. The referral should be marked "revised" and the date updated so that the referral will appear on International Admissions queries.
  • The Office of Admissions will notify applicants of all departmental decisions. Admit letters are mailed and Deny and No Action decision notifications are sent through ApplyYourself after they are processed by the Office of Admissions.
  • Applicants who have been recommended for acceptance to the graduate program, but do not meet the minimum admissions requirements of the Graduate School are referred to the Graduate Admissions Committee.
    • In these situations, departments are required to upload and submit a strong Letter of Support explaining the reasons the department feels the applicant will succeed in their program even though the applicant does not meet the minimum eligibility requirements. The Letter of Support should be uploaded through the Department Referral Form at the time the department is marking their admissions recommendation on the referral form.
    • If the applicant’s Letters of Recommendation were submitted offline, you should upload these documents on the Department Referral Form under the field titled “Additional documentation.”
    • No file will be reviewed by the Graduate Admissions Committee without these materials.
  • When International Admissions receives referrals for applicants that meet the Graduate School's minimum requirements for admission:
    • The files are reviewed for any missing credentials, coded, and the information is entered on PeopleSoft.
    • PeopleSoft generates an admission statement and missing credentials letter (if applicable).
    • Once the admission statement has been printed, if the student has provided proof of financial responsibility and the biographical page of his or her passport, the I-20 is requested.
    • The admissions statement and missing credentials letter (if any) are sent to the student.
    • The I-20 is sent separately so that the admissions acceptance letter is not held up.
    • Students may pay to have documents sent through express mail using the eShipGlobal process described on the International Admissions webpage. Departments also can express mail documents to students.
  • International Student and Scholar Services is the office that acts as liaison between the University's international students and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).
  • Information about the visa application process, immigration, maintaining status, and additional resources available to international students may be found on their website.
  • All new J & F visa holders must report to International Student and Scholar Services upon their arrival on campus.
  • Questions concerning visa status or current graduate students who do not need to reapply should be directed to International Student and Scholar Services, 410 Union Building, (801) 581-8876.
  • Starting November 17, 2002, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) required all universities to register with and use the Student Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). The University of Utah has updated many International Admissions policies to accommodate SEVIS reporting requirements
  • The International Admissions Division enters information into SEVIS regarding all University of Utah international students who need an I-20. We send this information to USCIS electronically.
  • Once USCIS has verified the information, they issue an I-20 with a SEVIS identification number. USCIS returns the I-20 to us as a PDF file. This is typically an overnight process.
  • The Social Security Administration accesses the SEVIS database before issuing Social Security Numbers to international students. The Social Security Administration is checking to verify that the student received authorization to enter the country and that the University of Utah issued their I-20. Please refer all questions about Social Security Numbers to International Student and Scholar Services.
Please take note of the following policies and procedures:
  • International Admissions cannot admit students after the last day to add classes and cannot admit students requiring visas after the semester has already started.
    • Students who are not in the U.S. must have time to make an interview appointment, allow wait time for a visa to be issued, and arrange travel to the U.S. before the "Program Start Date" on the I-20 (first day of class).
    • International Student and Scholar Services must submit reports to USCIS within three weeks of the start of classes of all students on an F or J visa who have checked in and are enrolled to take classes.
    • All students not reported by this date will be out of status with their visa.
  • International Admissions will not admit students for the second session of a semester.
  • Students must report a change of address to both the University of Utah International Student and Scholar Services and USCIS upon arrival at school.
    • The students must have a local physical address. USCIS does not accept PO Boxes or departmental addresses for students.
    • Students who are not on an F or J visa should submit an AR-11 to USCIS within 10 days of any address change.
  • The I-20 for students transferring from any other U.S. institution must be on the same SEVIS identification number.
    • The prior school must release the transferring student in SEVIS before the University of Utah can request an I-20. The student must be in status with USCIS before the prior school will release them.
    • This prevents the use of the batch process for all students who fall into this category.
    • International Admissions is restricted from requesting I-20's until the release date set by the prior school has passed.
  • The SEVIS database requires notification of all changes of major or degree status for graduate students.
    • For every change of graduate classification that a department submits, the student must provide new bank and sponsor statements and International Admissions must request a new I-20.
    • If the department is providing funding, please submit documentation directly to International Admissions.
    • Changes received after the first day of classes will be reflected for the following semester.
Last Updated: 7/13/18