Freshmen NEXT STEPS
The people you'll meet, the memories you'll create, the things you will learn, and the purpose you'll bring are all eagerly awaiting your arrival. You belong here. Welcome to The U community!
WHEN YOU RECEIVE YOUR ACCEPTANCE LETTER
Step 1: CREATE A CAMPUS INFORMATION SERVICES (CIS) ACCOUNT
- Your CIS account is where you register for classes, apply for housing, view grades, etc.
- Create your CIS account as soon as possible by visiting cis.utah.edu.
- Your log-in credentials are: Your uNID# (included in your admissions letter) and your default password is your birthdate (MMDDYY).
STEP 2: CREATE YOUR UNIVERSITY EMAIL (UMAIL) ACCOUNT
- While logged in to CIS also create your UMail Account using your log-in credentials from Step 1.
- Your UMail is where you will receive all official university communications, such as financial awards, school notifications, etc.
- You can forward your UMail account to your personal email once you have completed creating it.
STEP 3: CONFIRM INTENT TO ENROLL & SUBMIT ENROLLMENT DEPOSIT
- Confirm your intent to enroll at the U and submit your enrollment deposit to secure your seat for class (your enrollment deposit will be credited toward your first semester’s tuition).
- Confirming your enrollment and submitting your deposit is required before you can proceed in the New Student registration process and register for classes.
- If the enrollment deposit is a financial challenge, you may request a deposit extension.
Note: International Students requiring a student visa to study at the U are not required to submit the enrollment deposit but must confirm their intent to enroll.
AFTER YOU CONFIRM YOUR ENROLLMENT
STEP 1: APPLY FOR FINANCIAL AID & SCHOLARSHIPS (OPTIONAL)
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study. Visit financialaid.utah.edu to learn more.
- Explore additional on-campus scholarships opportunities available to you by visiting scholarships.utah.edu.
Note: Financial aid awards notifications will be posted in your CIS account.
Step 2: APPLY FOR HOUSING (OPTIONAL)
- If you are interested in living on campus, learn more about our themed communities, Living/Learning residences, and traditional housing options at housing.utah.edu.
- Apply early! Campus housing fills up quickly and spaces are not guaranteed.
- 2021 Campus Application Deadlines:
- Living Learning & Themed Communities: Priority application deadline is March 10.
- Other housing residences: Priority deadline is April 1.
AFTER YOU SUBMIT YOUR DEPOSIT
STEP 1: REGISTER FOR NEW STUDENT ORIENTATION (Required)
- New Student Orientation is required of all new students entering the university.
- You must complete NSO orientation to register for classes.
- Only students who have confirmed their enrollment and deposited can register for NSO.
- All New Student Orientation sessions are conducted online. Once you are registered for your session, you have one week to complete the session and register for classes.
Note: The sooner you complete NSO, the earlier you can register for the classes you want.
STEP 2: SUBMIT YOUR FINAL TRANSCRIPTS (Required)
- New students must submit their final high school transcripts to the Office of Admissions as soon as they are available.
- Failure to submit final high school transcripts may prevent the student from registering for courses and/or receiving financial aid.
STEP 3: PAY TUITION AND FEES (Required)
- Tuition and student fees are typically due during the second week of the semester after classes start.
- Tuition and fees made be submitted online through the CIS portal (preferred) or in=person at the Registrar’s office.