FOR AUTOMATIC SCHOLARSHIP CONSIDERATION
Freshman students are those who have not previously enrolled in a regionally accredited college or university, or who have only enrolled in college courses prior to high school graduation.
- Complete your Common Application.
- What to know before you start:
- Be prepared to spend 45 minutes to an hour to complete your application.
- You will need your high school counselor's contact information.
- A copy of your transcript can be helpful.
- You do not need a letter of recommendation or a personal essay.
- You will need to answer the University of Utah questions in addition to the Common App questions.
- You will need to pay the $55 application fee to submit your application. This fee is non-refundable and must be paid online through the Common Application. The application fee may be waived for applicants who provide documentation of financial hardship. More information on how to qualify can be found
- For more information, you can find the Common App guide for first time students here: Common App Guide
- Please submit an official high school transcript.
- Please be aware that if you submit your high school counselor as a recommender, they can submit your transcripts for you. Therefore, you will not need to submit the transcripts.
- Paper transcripts can be mailed directly from the high school or brought in an envelope sealed by the high school to:
The University of Utah
Office of Admissions
201 South 1460 East, Room 250s
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
- Electronic transcripts can be requested through one of the following services:
- Credentials Solutions
- National Student Clearinghouse
- If prompted for a recipient email address when ordering your transcript, please use email@example.com. Transcripts sent directly through email or fax will not be considered official.
- If you have taken the GED exam in place of a high school diploma, please have your official GED scores sent directly from the GED website.
Test scores must be sent directly from ACT or College Board using the following test code numbers:
4274 for the ACT
4853 for the SAT
Test scores cannot be accepted via a high school transcript.
Your application will be evaluated once we receive a completed application and all required documentation. The status of your application can be tracked here. Please allow 7-10 business days for the online tracker to reflect newly received materials.
Things to Remember
- The University of Utah does not require nor do we review personal essays or letters of recommendation.
- Students applying to the Business Scholars Program or the Honors College will be required to submit an essay as part of the application for admission to be considered for entry into either program. The essay prompt for each program can be found in their respective sections in the application for admission.
- Remember to answer the University of Utah specific questions in the Common Application.
- If you have any questions about admissions standards, please visit: