Estimated International Graduate Expenses


ESTIMATED EXPENSES FoR Fall 2021 - Spring 2022

Below is a breakdown of the estimated undergraduate expenses for international students requesting an I-20 from the University of Utah.

Annual Living Expenses*


  • Room and Board: $11,844
  • Books: $1,322
  • Health Insurance: $2,146
  • Other Expenses: $4,190
  • Total Living Expenses: $19,502

Includes Two Semester Fees

Non-Resident Tuition & Fees**


  • International Student Fee: $300**
  • Int'l Orientation Fee (one-time charge only): $75**
  • Graduate Non-Resident Tuition (18 Credits): $31,287
  • Matriculation Fee (one-time charge only): $125
  • Tuition & Fees Total: $31, 787

Includes Two Semester Fees

Total Estimated Graduate Cost***


**The Office of International Student & Scholar Services charges these fees.

Graduate students must only prove they have funding for 9 credit hours per semester in order for the University of Utah to issue an I-20. Some graduate departments have higher credit hour requirements and tuition rates. The following departments have different tuition rates and fees associated with them. Please check with your department for current tuition rates and fees. You may also check current tuition rates here.

  • David Eccles School of Business:
    • MBA, MprA, MS
    • Executive MBA Program
    • Professional MBA Program
    • MAcc Evening Program
  • S.J. Quinney College of Law
  • School of Medicine
  • Physician’s Assistant
  • College of Architecture + Planning
  • College of Education (Masters)
  • College of Engineering
  • College of Nursing
  • College of Pharmacy (PharmD)
  • College of Social Work
  • MPA/ Executive MPA
  • Physical Therapy
  • Entertainment Arts & Engr
  • Biomedical Informatics
  • Communication Disorders
  • Genetic Counseling
  • Educational Psychology
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Nutrition
  • Public Health

You may qualify for the House Bill 118 tuition waiver, which allows eligible Utah high school graduates the opportunity to attend Utah universities and colleges and have the non-resident portion of their tuition waived. A student can qualify for this waiver if they:

  • Are a foreign national legally admitted to the Unites States (holds a non-immigrant visa such as F-1, H-4, J-1, etc.)
  • Attended a Utah high school for three or more years.
  • Graduated or will graduate from a Utah high school or attained the equivalent of a high school diploma (GED) in Utah.

PLEASE NOTE:  House Bill 118 is a Utah State law. If HB118 requirements are met proof of funding is required for I-20 issuance. The estimated amount needed for an I-20 has nothing to do with the Utah State Law HB118 tuition waiver. If your HB118 application is approved, you will be responsible for the resident portion of tuition cost.

*The estimated cost per year for each dependent is $6,000. This will be calculated into the required proof of funding for each dependent requested.

*Your actual expenses may be higher or lower than this estimate depending on your personal spending habits. Please note that the estimated cost for room and board is for living on-campus. If you will be living off-campus, please be aware that the cost of living will likely increase.

**International students pay non-resident tuition rates at the University of Utah. The estimate reflects the minimum amount required for issuing an I-20 needed for the F-1 student visa application process. Amounts are subject to change at any time. All students are eligible for resident tuition rates during the summer term.