You are here:

How your credits will transfer

  • Transfer credit earned at regionally accredited colleges or universities is normally accepted for advanced standing if the work is parallel in nature to programs offered at the University of Utah.  Any appeals for credit not recognized should be initiated in the Office of Admissions after you have been admitted. 
  • Evaluation of transfer work is subject to audit and re-evaluation.
  • The Office of Admissions determines acceptability of transfer credit toward the 122 semester hour graduation requirement as well as awarding general education requirements.  Academic departments determine if courses are considered equivalent to courses offered at the University of Utah and their applicability towards a bachelor's degree.
  • Students who have an associate of arts or an associate of science degree from a Utah state-supported institution are considered to have completed the University of Utah's general education requirements.  Additional Bachelor's Degree requirements are required for graduation. 
  • Students who have an associate of arts or an associate of science degree from a regionally accredited college or university will satisfy the University's intellectual exploration and writing portion of the general education requirements.  The mathematics and American Institutions requirements must be completed at the U, if not included in previous coursework.  Additional Bachelor's Degree requirements are required for graduation.
  • An associate of applied science, associate of pre-engineering, or other variations do not clear the general education requirements.
  • Denominational, non-theory based religious credits will not be counted as part of the 30 completed credits required as part of the application process and will not be included in completed credits required for graduation. If you have questions about this policy, please feel free to contact us for further clarification.

Utah State Transfer Articulation Guide

Transfer articulation is the process where an academic department at the University of Utah determines whether courses taken at another school are equivalent or comparable to courses taught at the University of Utah.  The transfer guide has been developed by the Utah State Transfer Articulation Committee in coordination with the Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education and the Utah higher education institutions.

This guide provides information on how courses articulate between Utah schools.  This guide is specific for the University of Utah and identifies articulated courses; it does not indicate how these courses might apply to a major and/or institution graduation requirements.  Please reference our Getting Ready Guides for more information about how courses transfer into a specific major.

To see how courses transfer from another institution, please select a school below:

Dixie State University
LDS Business College
Salt Lake Community College
Snow College
Southern Utah University
Utah State University
Utah Valley University
Weber State University
Westminster College

Interpreting the information: Listed in the left column are courses from a “sending” institution.  Listed under the U of U course heading are responses to the courses of the sending institution.  If a particular course is considered to be “equivalent” to a course at the University of Utah, then the appropriate U of U course number is listed.  Non-articulated courses with a footnote of “E” indicates that the courses are transferable and accepted as general elective credit toward graduation, without necessarily satisfying a particular course or program requirement.

Articulation information is subject to change.  Students should contact the appropriate departments at the receiving institutions for updated information. 

How transfer credits will apply toward Majors

Please reference our Getting Ready Guides for more information about how courses transfer into a specific major.


Last Updated: 1/9/19