You are here:

HB 144 - Non-Resident Tuition Waiver

What is HB 144?

The Utah legislature passed this law in 2002 that allows qualifying students to have the opportunity to attend Utah universities and colleges by paying in-state tuition. These students do not have Utah residency status, but they qualify for the tuition waiver. The Board of Regents made an exception for them if they come with the affidavit that states they attended Utah high school for three years, graduated or else have a GED, and that they promise to file an application to legalize their immigration status as soon as they are eligible to do so. (Tinney, 2003, p. 2).

How Do I Qualify for HB 144?

To qualify for the HB 144 tuition waiver a student must meet the following requirements below:

  1. They must be admitted as a student to the University of Utah.
  2. They must have attended high school in the state of Utah for three or more years.
  3. They must have graduated from a Utah high school or attained the equivalent of a high school diploma prior to the start of the term (for example passed the GED).
  4. They cannot have registered for college classes prior to the Fall of the 2002-2003 academic school year.
  5. They cannot have their first enrollment at an institution of higher education outside the Utah System of Higher Education.

For non-immigrant aliens:

  1. They cannot hold a non-immigrant visa.
  2. They must have filed an application to legalize their immigration status or be willing to file an application when they become eligible.

How Do I Apply for HB 144?

To apply for HB 144, complete the online freshman Admission Application.  Under the citizenship portion of the application, indicate that you are requesting HB 144 consideration. If you are admitted as a student to the University of Utah, complete the HB 144 Tuition Waiver Request (PDF) and mail it to:

The University of Utah
Office of Admissions
201 South 1460 E. Room 250S
Salt Lake City, UT 84112-9057 

Who Should I Contact?

Todd Taylor, Administrative Program Coordinator

What scholarships are available to me?

There are several scholarships available to students who qualify for HB 144, DACA, or are non-FAFSA eligible.

(There are more scholarships available below. Note: this is not a comprehensive list of financial resources available. Scholarships are regularly posted, so check these websites throughout the year.)

Additional Resources





Last Updated: 7/13/18