Non-Degree Seeking Students

Non-degree seeking status is defined as a student who has permission to register for classes, but is not working towards a degree.

Application Process

  1. Complete the application
    Apply for admission by submitting the Application for Undergraduate Admission and indicate "non-degree seeking" in the application. 
  2. Pay the application fee

    The non-refundable application fee is $55. A $40 late fee is required for all applications submitted after the admissions deadline.


Complete by: We will begin mailing decisions on:
November 1 September 15
Applications submitted with all required documentation and a $40 late processing fee will be accepted until December 31.


Complete by: We will begin mailing decisions on:
March 15 January 15

Applications submitted with all required documentation and a $40 late processing fee will be accepted through May 8.


Complete by: We will begin mailing decisions on:
April 1 January 15

Applications submitted with all the required documentation after the final deadline will be charged an additional $40 late processing fee and will be processed and considered on a space-available basis. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as the University could close applications without notice after the final deadline.

Admission Standards

To be eligible to apply as a non-degree seeking student, you must:

  • Have graduated from high school three or more years prior to the registration term or, be accepted into a University of Utah-sponsored certificate program. If you do not meet this requirement, additional information will be required to prove college-readiness and will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
  • Be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or seeking asylum or refugee status. Students wishing to attend on a visa may be eligible for non-degree seeking status, however, will be granted admission for one term only. Permanent residents, asylum, refugee, and students on a visa must meet our English proficiency requirement.
  • If you took the GED, a composite score of 550 with no individual score below 500 is required.
  • Have a cumulative transfer GPA of 2.6 or higher. Students who have an associate of arts or an associate of science degree from a regionally accredited institution may be admitted with a 2.35 GPA or higher. (Note: we do not honor academic renewal at other universities).
  • If you have previously attended The University of Utah as a degree-seeking student, then it is required that you have received a bachelor’s degree from any regionally accredited institution prior to attending as a non-degree seeking student.

Important Information

  • Non-degree seeking students are not eligible for Financial Aid or Scholarships.
  • Each non-degree seeking student will be classified as a resident or non-resident for tuition purposes.
  • Non-degree students are not able to register until open enrollment. For open enrollment dates, please reference the academic calendar
  • Students admitted as non-degree seeking must be continuously enrolled.  If you do not register in at least one credit-bearing course each semester (not including the summer semester), you will be discontinued and required to reapply. Non-credit courses through Continuing Education do not meet this requirement.
  • Credit earned as a non-degree seeking student will only apply towards a degree after you become a matriculated (degree-seeking) student.  A maximum of 30 semester hours of credit earned as a non-degree seeking student may be applied toward an undergraduate degree. 
  • Nine hours of graduate credit may be considered toward an advanced degree. Non-degree seeking students registering for one or more graduate level courses in their undergraduate career will be charged graduate tuition rates for all courses taken.
  • If you are graduating with a degree from the University and Utah and wish to continue your education, you must apply as a non-degree seeking student.  For more information regarding this policy, please visit:
Last Updated: 5/6/19