Re-applying After Being Denied
Being denied doesn’t mean the end of your University of Utah dream. While you may not be admissible now, there are options to strengthen your chances in the future. While we offer general tips on improving your academic profile, you can speak with your Admissions Counselor for more specific advice on improving your application.
- Attend another regionally accredited institution and earn 30 credit hours at a cumulative GPA of 2.60 or higher. If you wait to reapply until after you have completed 30 transferable semester hours or 45 transferable quarter hours, your high school record will not be included in the review of your new application.
- Continue attending your current school and retake any courses with low grades. This is the quickest way to raise your transfer GPA. Note that we do not honor academic renewal at other institutions.
- Earn an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree from a regionally accredited college or university. If you have earned an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree the admissions GPA requirement is a 2.35.
If there is new and compelling information since your initial application, you have the option to appeal the deny decision up to six weeks following the date printed on the decision letter. International students on or requesting a visa are not eligible to appeal.
- A completed Appeal of the Denial Form.
- Two complete Letter of Recommendation forms (PDF). These forms must be completed by someone who is familiar with your academic potential, preferably a current teacher or academic counselor. Letters from family members or friends will not be considered. You may also submit supporting documentation to substantiate new and compelling information. Examples include an updated transcript or further documentation of extenuating circumstances.
A complete appeals packet is due on the 15th of every month but must be received no later than six weeks after the date on the denial letter. If the 15th falls on a weekend or holiday, a complete appeal packet is due on the next business day.
Spring Semester-December 1st
Summer Semester-April 1st
Fall Semester-August 1st
A decision will be made on your appeal 4-6 weeks after it is submitted. You will receive notification of this decision by postal mail.