Admitted International Graduate Students


Congratulations on your admission to the University of Utah. There are a few things you will need to do to get ready to become a Ute. Make sure that you complete each of the steps below after you have been admitted to the University of Utah:

  • Students who will be attending the University of Utah on an F-1 student visa, must request an I-20 “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status” from the Office of Admissions. We will begin processing your I-20 once you have been admitted and submitted all the required documentation

  • - Admitted students must Confirm Their Intent to Enroll to reserve their spot at the University of Utah. You will not be able to register for International Student Orientation or begin the class registration process until you have confirmed your intent to enroll.
    - Your uNID & UMail Account:
    In order to confirm your intent to enroll you first must log on to Campus Information Services (CIS) and set up your account. Login using your University Student ID number (uNID), which is printed in your letter of acceptance, and your temporary password, which is your birthdate in the MMDDYY format. You will be prompted to change your password the first time you log in to CIS.
    - Your uNID and password are used to access your University E-mail account (UMail). After changing your CIS password you will be able to login to your UMail account. Students are advised to check their UMail accounts regularly, or to forward their UMail to an active e-mail address. Once admitted, all University of Utah communication will be sent directly to the UMail address.

  • - International Student Orientation is mandatory for all students entering the United States on an F-1 student visa. International Student & Scholar Services will contact admitted students with more details about registration for orientation. Their website has more information about what to expect during International Student Orientation and the class registration process.

  • - Students admitted to the University of Utah must submit proof of immunization before starting classes. You can read more about the required immunizations and how to make an appointment to receive these immunizations on the Student Health Center website.

    - International students attending the University of Utah on an F-1 student visa are automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan administered by United Healthcare. You can read more about this plan, as well as how to apply for a waiver on the Student Health Center website.

  • - Applicants formally admitted in the graduate program are required to submit official transcripts, in a sealed envelope, from all colleges and/or universities previously attended.  All documents submitted to the University of Utah become property of the University and cannot be returned to the student.

    - Additionally, students must submit an official copy of their diploma or degree for each program from which they have graduated. If only one diploma has been issued, students may bring it directly to the International Admissions service window and we will make an official photocopy. Please note that this option may not be available to students from all countries.
    Contact our office directly for additional information.

    - Students who do not submit a diploma, degree, or final transcripts will have a hold placed on their account and will not be able to register for classes.

    - Confirm Document Status
    Students may check the status of their documents using the online
    Application Tracker.

  • - Your department advisor is an important resource in the class registration process. Graduate students are advised to contact their advisor for registration assistance and for any important information concerning their program of study.

  • If you are interested in living on-campus, you must complete the online housing application and pay the application fee. To learn more about housing options, visit their website. University housing is not automatically assigned to students. Your housing on-campus is only confirmed once you have paid the housing deposit and received verification of accommodation. Students are advised to apply for on-campus housing as soon as possible.