Graduate English Proficiency
English language proficiency is critical to your success at the University of Utah. Please note that individual departments may have English proficiency requirements that are different than those listed below. Applicants are advised to verify their program specific requirements and note that meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission in to a graduate program.
English proficiency may be demonstrated by graduate applicants in one of the following ways:
- TOEFL: minimum score of 80 (Internet-based test) or 550 (paper-based test)
- IELTS: An overall minimum band score of 6.5
*All test dates must be within two years of admission for scores to be valid.
- An associate, bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree from a regionally-accredited U.S. college or university completed within two years of admittance
- A bachelor’s degree or higher completed within the last two years from an officially-recognized
college or university in one of the following countries:
- Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland)
The following applicants do not need to submit proof of English proficiency:
- Native speakers of English who are citizens of Australia, Canada (except Quebec), Ireland, New Zealand, or the United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland)
- Continuing students currently enrolled at the University of Utah and moving from one degree level to another, or one program to another (with a break of no more than two years between the 'change' from one degree level/program to the next)
If an applicant does not meet one of the standards outlined above, but feels their professional and/or educational experience merits English proficiency, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information on filing a Petition for English Proficiency.