Welcome to the University of Utah! This page is for international students seeking a Graduate degree who have the equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree from a recognized college or university, with at least a 3.0 GPA.
Find your department's deadlines, requirements, and application process.
All applicants must meet minimum requirements set by the Graduate School of the University of Utah (listed below).
Also, each academic department or program defines the specific details, deadlines, and
requirements of its application process.
Fill out the online application.
We recommend applying through the University of Utah "ApplyYourself" online application system. (A printable PDF application is also available, but your academic department will require additional documentation.) We recommend that international students apply at least 60 days before the deadline to allow processing time.
Pay the application fee.
For international applicants, the application fee is $65. Some academic programs will pay the application fee for their applicants.
|An additional $30 late fee will apply if your application is not complete by these deadlines, even if your academic program has a later deadline:
Upload all required documents.
You will be asked to upload an unofficial copy of all college transcripts and any additional documents required by the academic department. Current students or graduates of the University of Utah will not be required to submit their University of Utah transcripts.
If your first language is not English, then have your English proficiency scores sent to the Office of Admissions.
- Official TOEFL or IELTS score reports must be less than two years old at the time of admission and scores must be sent directly to the Admissions Office from Educational Testing Service (TOEFL) or from the IELTS center where you took the test.
- Some applicants may not need to send English proficiency scores, including recent graduates from an accredited college or university in the United States or if you have had your Permanent Resident card for at least 5 years. Check to see if you are eligible for an English proficiency waiver.
Your application will not be processed until we have received all required credentials and fees.
Making false or misleading statements on the application or failing to list all institutions attended may result in cancellation of admission status and/or loss of credit.
Admission requirements, deadlines and fees are subject to change without prior notice.
All documents submitted to the University of Utah become its property and will not be released to students or other institutions. Admission applications and transcripts are destroyed after one year for students who do not attend.
Applicants must meet academic and English proficiency minimum requirements for admission. The requirements listed are the minimum set by the Graduate School of the University of Utah, and do not guarantee admission to a graduate program. Also, each academic department or program defines
requirements. Applicants are evaluated with respect to university and departmental requirements and with respect to the pool of available applicants.
The minimum academic requirements are:
- A bachelor's degree from a Ministry of Education recognized international college or university or a regionally-accredited U.S. college or university. International Admissions officers will determine if applicants with international degrees meet the Graduate School's requirement of a recognized bachelor's degree.
- At least a 3.00 or higher undergraduate GPA on a 4.0 scale
- Meeting the English proficiency requirement
- Meeting the academic department's admission standards
- A recommendation for admission from the academic program.
English Proficiency Requirements
Permanent residents whose first language is not English are required to submit results of the TOEFL or IELTS examination.
- Applicants must have a minimum TOEFL score of 61 iBT (500 pBT) or better, or a minimum IELTS band score of 6.0 or better. Beginning with the spring 2014 semester, applicants must have a minimum TOEFL score of 80 iBT (550 pBT) or better, or a minimum IELTS band score of 6.5 or better. (Minimum score requirements are subject to change). Register for the TOEFL. Register for IELTS.
- Students who have previously completed the TOEFL or IELTS, but have been outside of the United States for two or more years since taking the examination will be required to complete a new TOEFL or IELTS exam and meet the minimum requirements.
- The University has the right to request additional English training if deemed necessary by a university official.
Most graduate programs require higher English proficiency scores or may require additional tests. Find your department's website for details.
After you are Admitted
Students requesting an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility must provide the following documents:
- A financial statement showing a minimum of $39,842.00 in U.S. dollars to cover the first year tuition and living expenses. The funds should be liquid, and the account must have been in the applicant's name for at least six months. (Costs are subject to change.)
Read an estimate of Graduate expenses.
- A signed statement from any sponsor providing financial support for the student, declaring the sponsor's intent to financially support the student for an entire year of tuition and living expenses. Download the Affidavit (PDF). Applicants being sponsored by their embassy, government, or educational agency need only submit a letter of sponsorship from the appropriate authority.
- A copy of the first page of your current passport or your national ID card.
- Students currently on an I-20 from another U.S. school will need to complete a transfer form, which will be mailed to the student after acceptance.
Have official school records sent to the Office of Admissions.
If you are accepted into the graduate program, you will then be required to send official copies of degrees and diplomas, transcripts, mark sheets and school records from all colleges or universities attended.
School records must be:
- Sent directly from the school attended to the Admissions Office. The University of Utah accepts official electronic transcripts from the following agencies only: Docufide by Parchment, National Student Clearinghouse, eScrip-Safe and AVOW. Please send electronic transcripts to
- Presented in the original language with an official English translation. Translations must be literal and complete.
- Submitted on an official school document and list the name and address of the school, the dates enrolled, grading system, description of each subject or examination, and mark or grade earned in each subject or examination.
The International Center
Once accepted, your main contact on campus is
The International Center
for advising on all visa issues, orientation, international student resources, housing and other issues for international students.
- International students on visas are not eligible to enroll as provisional or non-matriculated students.