- Student Name, Birthdate, uNID (student ID) and contact information
- Full name of person authorized to pick up document and their contact information
- Statement authorizing person listed to pick up documents from the International Admissions Office
The University of Utah begins processing I-20 Certificates of Eligibility for students after they have been admitted. An I-20 is necessary to apply for an F-1 student visa through a U.S. Consulate abroad, or to maintain F-1 student status in the United States.
These documents are not required for admission to the University of Utah. You may submit them as soon as possible, but we will not begin processing your I-20 until you have been admitted.
Undergraduate students who are requesting an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility must provide the following documents:
- A financial (bank) statement showing a minimum of $40,796.00 in U.S. dollars, or the equivalent in foreign currency, to cover the Estimated Undergraduate Expenses. The funds should be liquid, and the statement must be dated within the last six months (costs are subject to change).
- If the financial statement is not in the student's name, a signed statement from the
sponsor providing financial support for the student, declaring the sponsor's intent to financially
support the student for an entire year of tuition and living expenses is required. Download the Affidavit PDF here.
- If the student has more than one sponsor, each sponsor must submit a separate, signed Affidavit of Support in addition to proof of funding.
- Applicants being sponsored by their embassy, government, or educational agency need only submit a letter of sponsorship from the appropriate authority.
Once all of these documents have been received, it can take several weeks for an I-20 to be issued once a student has been admitted.
All of the documents above can be scanned and e-mailed directly to email@example.com.
Students must select a method to have their I-20 mailed to them once it has been issued. For the fastest delivery, express mail is strongly recommended.
3-5 days for delivery upon issue of I-20
The University of Utah has joined with eShipGlobal to coordinate express mail services through DHL orFedEx. Please do not go through DHL or FedEx directly. All communication and payment must go through eShipGlobal. Express mail is available to students at their own expense.
Please register for express mail as early as possible. You do not need to wait until your I-20 has been issued to register for this service. Once your I-20 has been issued, the Office of Admissions will check to verify if you have registered for eShipGlobal. If not, your I-20 will be sent through air mail.
Please follow the instructions below to use this service:
- Visit https://study.eshipglobal.com and complete the student registration form.
- You must activate the account through your e-mail address before proceeding.
- From the main menu select “Receive Documents”
- Select “Utah” from the map of the United States
- Choose “University of Utah” from the menu and click “Continue”
- Choose “Office of Admissions” from the menu and click “Continue”
- Enter the address you would like your I-20 sent to in the “Receiver’s Address” section
- Your Student ID (uNID) was included in your letter of admission and e-mail
- If you do not have a uNID, or do not know your uNID, please enter "NOSID"
- eShipGlobal accepts Credit Card, Wire Transfer, and Paypal
4-6 weeks for delivery upon issue of I-20
Students who do not register for express mail will have their documents sent to them by regular air mail free of charge. The Office of Admissions will use the mailing address entered on your admission application. If your address has changed, please notify us as soon as possible at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students may authorize a friend, relative or University official to pick up their documents at the International Admissions service window in the Student Services Building (SSB). To authorize a pick up, please send an e-mail to email@example.com with the following information:
Once you have received your I-20, you can apply for your F-1 visa. To acquire this, you must fill out the online visa application, pay the non-refundable application fee, and schedule a visa interview at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate (excluding citizens of Canada and Bermuda.) Follow the steps below to complete this process. For more detailed information and guidelines, we suggest visiting the Study in the States Website and U.S. Visa Exchange Website.
- Pay the non-refundable application SEVIS I-901 fee
- Only students with a new SEVIS number are required to pay the fee
- Print the receipt as proof of payment for your visa interview
- Complete the Online Visa Application
- Once completed, print the application form confirmation page to bring to your visa interview
- You will be required to upload a photo to complete the application
- Schedule a visa interview at an U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Be sure to take all required
documents with you to the interview, including:
- Nonimmigrant Visa Application (Form DA-160)
- Application Fee payment receipt
- I-20 Certificate of Eligibility
- Additional documents may be required. Review instructions on the website of the Embassy or Consulate where you will apply
All required documents must be brought with you when entering the U.S. Please arrive on or after the arrival date printed on your I-20. You must enter the U.S. before the program start date.
For more information on how to avoid I-20 delays in the I-20 issuance, please click here.