Prospective graduate students must apply for admission through the University of Utah ApplyYourself online application system (https://app.applyyourself.com/?id=utahgrad). Please make sure a link to this application is posted on your website.
- Application Type
- Program Information
- Personal Data
- Contact Information
- Permanent Address
- Optional Biographical Information
- Educational History
- Additional Information
- Voluntary Consent
- Post Submission
The application is dynamic: based on established system business rules, applicants can view and navigate only to those sections of the application that they need to complete based on their program requirements, citizenship statuses, and residency information. For example, the Additional Residency Activities section is visible based on applicant responses in the Residency section while Permanent Resident and International pages are visible based on applicant responses in the Personal Data section.
Additional rules have also been created to make other forms visible based on program selection. Optional supplements include:
- GRE/GMAT Scores
- Additional Test Scores
- Program Prerequisites
- Program Concentration
- Work/Professional Experience
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- Statement of Purpose
- Writing Sample
Annual Updates are made once a year during the summer. Leading up to that window, the Systems division of the Office of Admissions will review and process requests from each department. Requests include changes to which optional supplements applicants can see, updates to Evaluation Status preferences, and creation of terms for the next application cycle. Any questions related to the Annual Update should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To view applications, staff and faculty need access to the ApplyYourself WebCenter.
To request ApplyYourself WebCenter access, faculty or staff members must:
- Complete the FERPA Review for Faculty and Staff.
- Complete and submit an Apply Yourself WebCenter Account Request Form to email@example.com.
After an ApplyYourself account has been created for you, you will receive an email containing a link to the login page, your username, and an encrypted "set your password" link. You will need to click the encrypted link to set a new password. This will activate your account and allow you to log in to the ApplyYourself WebCenter.
Please direct any questions you have regarding the ApplyYourself WebCenter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your ApplyYourself WebCenter account is set up so that you only have access to see applicants who applied to specific programs. To search for applicants to those programs, follow these steps:
- From the main menu, go to Select a System→Application System→Application for Admission.
- On the Application Menu, click on Search for Applicants.
- The Application Module: Search for Applicants screen will load. Review the Display
and Record Options.
- The default Number of Records to Display is 50. To change this, click on the drop-down.
- For any given search, you can either search for applications that have been submitted (received), not submitted (in-progress), or both.
- As you scroll down, you will be able to see the following search options:
- Search by Date
- Search by Individual
- Search Using Query
- Search by Group
- Search by Action
- Enter your criteria and click on submit.
- If applicants meet your criteria, the Application Module: Search Results window will load.
- If no applicants meet your criteria, a System Message window will open, telling you that no records were found.
The Application Module: Search Results view is different when you search for not submitted applications or both submitted and not submitted applications. More options are available if you search only for submitted applications.
For submitted applications, from the Search Results page you can:
- Click on the applicant's profile name to open the Applicant Summary page.
- Click on the "Adobe Acrobat" icon to view a PDF version of the application. This PDF will also include uploaded documents such as resumes and statements of purpose.
- Click on the "sheet of paper" icon to see a Quick View. This will contain information about the applicant such as their first and last name, intended graduate program and degree, etc.
- Click on the profile email address to send an email to applicant through your desktop email client.
Applicant Summary Page
From the Applicant Summary page, you can view more information for an application. More information is available for submitted (received) applications than for not submitted (in-progress) applications. Also, different levels of information display for in-progress applicants.
Ways to view additional information for submitted applications from the Application Summary page include:
- Selecting view application to view a PDF version of the application.
- Selecting view recommendation to view PDFs of submitted recommendations
- Selecting Basic Information—All Applicants to view applicant responses by application section or to view an internal form.
For submitted applications, you can also view details for Supporting Documents from the Applicant Summary page.
- Click on Application Fee to see detailed information such as date received and payment made.
- Click on Recommendation to see the details on each recommendation for the applicant. By clicking on each recommendation
listing, you can:
- See if the recommendation will be completed online.
- See if the applicant has waived the right to view the recommendation.
- See if the recommendation has been received.
- View the recommendation.
- Department Evaluation Form: Form available for use by academic departments/programs who want to complete their applicant evaluation online.
- Official Test Scores: A read-only reference tool.
- Academic Reviewer: Form available for use by academic departments/programs who want to complete their applicant evaluation online.
- Department Referral Form: Form academic departments/programs must use to advise the Office of Admissions of their recommendations for each applicant. This form must be completed for all applicants. Also, if you have chosen to start files out in the "Waiting for Department Request" Evaluation Status, you will use this form to request evaluations.
- PeopleSoft Data: A read-only reference tool.
- Graduate Academic Record Worksheet: Form completed only by Office of Admissions staff, summarizing an applicant's past academic record.
- Admissions Decision Form: Form completed only by Office of Admissions staff.
- Graduate Committee Form: Form completed only by Office of Admissions staff.
To access internal forms in the ApplyYourself WebCenter:
- Search for an applicant.
- Click the applicant's name to open the Applicant Summary page.
- Select the Basic Information-All Applicants link located under the View Full Application header.
- Find and select the name of the form you would like to view. It will open in a new window.
The internal form you will use most frequently is the Department Referral Form. This form has four sections:
- A header containing read-only information, including Citizenship Type and Evaluation Status
- An Evaluation Process Section
- A Graduate Admissions Committee Case section
- A Referral Process Section
Evaluation Process Section
The Evaluation Process section should only be used by academic departments who have indicated that evaluations should only be completed upon their request.
To request that a file be evaluated, a department representative should:
- Change Request to Evaluate to yes.
- Enter the current date in the Date Requested On field.
- Select Save and then OK.
Graduate Admissions Committee Case Section
The Graduate Admissions Committee Case section should only be used if the academic department recommends an applicant whose file would need to go before the Graduate Admissions Committee (GAC). If the Office of Admissions has evaluated a file and concluded that it would be a committee case, the Evaluation Status (visible in the header at the top) would be "Evaluation Complete—Needs Committee Review."
You can upload your department's letter of support and any additional documentation in this section. If files are uploaded, the current date should be entered into the corresponding Date Uploaded field.
Referral Process Section
The Referral Process section contains four numbered steps and a remarks section.
- Step 1 (must completed for all applicants):
- Referral Type (Original or Revised)
- No Action Reason (if applicable)
- Verified Program
- Verified Term
- Step 2 (should be completed for international applicants receiving department funding):
- Value of Full Funding $ (if applicable)
- Value of Partial Funding $ (if applicable)
- Comments pertaining to international funding (if applicable)
- Step 3 (must be completed for all applicants):
- Program Coordinator
- Date of Referral: the current date will be copied into this field when you save the form if you entered a Recommendation in step 1.
- Step 4 (must be completed for all applicants):
- Select the Save button and then OK.
- Before saving, a department representative also has the option to enter a comment into the Remarks section.
When a department representative wants to submit a revised referral, in addition to any necessary changes to Recommendation, Verified Program, and Verified Term (see step 1), Referral Type (step 1) must be changed to revised and Date of Referral (step 3) must be changed to the current date.