FAQ - International Graduate Admissions
Applicants need to go to the academic department's website to find information about requirements and how to apply.
Payment instructions are provided in ApplyYourself. Applicants should pay by credit card when they submit their online application. If an applicant wishes to pay by check or money order, they need to make sure their information is clearly included with the payment.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL): 80 Internet-based (iBT) or 550 Paper-based test (pBT)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS): 6.5
English proficiency is a University requirement that can only be waived by the International Admissions Division of the Office of Admissions.
- The English proficiency requirement is automatically waived if the student is from a qualified English-speaking country or the student earned a degree from a regionally-accredited school in the United States within two years prior to attending the University of Utah.
- If a department officer has information which they believe warrants a waiver or deferment of this requirement, they may write a letter of appeal to International Admissions. The letter should include the reasons for requesting a waiver or deferment. An administrative decision will be made and the department will be notified. Speaking to the student does not warrant cause to waive the English proficiency requirement.
- If the student has been in school in the U.S. since the time of their last TOEFL/IELTS, International Admissions will accept an unofficial copy, if the score is above requirements. The scores, along with attendance in an U.S. school, should be sufficient proof of English proficiency.
- If the applicant has not been in school in this country, they will need to retake the TOEFL or IELTS.
- When a student takes the regular TOEFL examination, they have the option of requesting the results be sent to three schools. If they list the code for the University of Utah, the score will automatically be sent to International Admissions. If the student did not list the University of Utah as one of the schools to receive the TOEFL results, they will need to contact the Educational Testing Service (ETS) and request an official copy be sent. Only TOEFL scores sent by ETS directly to International Admissions are considered official.
- If a student takes the IELTS test, they have the option of requesting the results be sent to five institutions free of charge. Additional copies incur a small administrative charge. To get an additional copy, the student needs to contact the IELTS testing center where they took the test within two years of the test date.