You are here:

University of Utah Graduation Requirements That May Be Completed at LDS Business College

In addition to your major courses, the University of Utah has three types of graduation requirements. Students must complete

(1) General Education requirements

(2) University Bachelor’s Degree requirements, and

(3) Elective Credit.


General Education: The U’s General Education program can be waived by completing the General Education requirements at LDS Business College. This may be demonstrated in one of two ways:

  • Earning an Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree (Not an Associate of Applied Science), or
  • Obtaining a letter of completion from LDS Business College which states all of your General Education requirements have been completed.


If you do not complete the General Education requirements while attending LDS Business College, your transfer courses will be evaluated on a course-by-course basis for General Education credit. Those courses awarded General Education credit will be identified on your Summary of Transfer Credit.


A basic understanding of the General Education program may assist you with your LDSBS course planning. In the General Education program every student must complete the Intellectual Explorations requirement, the American Institutions requirement, the Quantitative Reasoning requirement, and the Writing requirement.

American Institutions Requirement: May be completed at LDS Business College by completing (with a C- or better) the following courses

POLS 110              American National Government (3)


Writing Requirement: May be completed at LDS Business College by completing (with a C- or better) the following course:


ENG 201               Intermediate College Writing (3)


Quantitative Reasoning Requirement: Both A and B parts of the requirement must be completed with a minimum grade of D- or credit:

  1. Quantitative Reasoning A (Math): Mathematics 1030 or an approved higher-level mathematics course
  2. Quantitative Reasoning B (Statistics or Logic): Mathematics 1040, 1070, or a statistics or logic course from an approved list. Not required for students receiving a BFA or B. Mus degree.


The Quantitative Reasoning requirement may be completed at LDS Business College by completing ONE of the following:


                MATH 111           Calculus (3)

                MATH 110           College Algebra (4) &


                MATH 252           Statistics (3)


Intellectual Explorations Requirement: General Education includes courses taught in the following four subject areas:

Fine Arts


Physical and Life Sciences

Social Sciences


Students are required to complete two courses from each of the four subject areas. Courses for these requirements must be completed with a minimum D- grade. Most courses taught at LDSBC for General Education credit will be accepted as fulfilling the foundation requirements in one of the four areas. Foundation courses are identified on the Summary of Transfer Credit as FF (Fine Arts Foundation), HF (Humanities Foundation), SF (Physical & Life Sciences Foundation), and BF (Social and Behavioral Science Foundation)








Fine Arts

Fine Arts



Life/Physical Sciences & Mathematics

Physical & Life Sciences

Social Sciences

Social Sciences

American Institutions

American Institutions

There are a few majors at the U that require specific courses that could be double counted for general education. With careful planning, a student could complete their associate degree to include courses for the major. Another option for students who want to transfer to the U before completing their associate degree is to work with an LDS Business College advisor in taking classes at the U that would satisfy requirements for the associate degree and have those credits transferred back to LDS Business College.

University Requirements: In addition to requirements fulfilled with an A.S. degree, the University also requires all students to complete the following to receive a Bachelor’s degree (these requirements may be part of the major departmental requirements):

Upper-Divison Communication/Writing Requirement: Taking an approved upper-division communication/writing course identified by the student’s major department may fulfill this requirement. The course must be completed with a minimum grade of C- or credit, unless the department requires a higher grade.


Diversity Requirement: All undergraduate students graduating from the University of Utah will be required to successfully complete one course satisfying the diversity requirement. In order to fulfill the diversity requirement, the course must be at least three hours and have as its central focus:

  • The study of one or more cultures of the people of the United States different from the majority or dominant cultures
  • The critical examination of relations between non-dominant and dominant cultural groups or between various non-dominant cultural groups in the United States.
  • Be approved by the University Diversity Committee


For further questions and course approval, please contact the Academic Advising Center at (801) 581-8146; or the Office of Undergraduate Studies at (801) 581-3811

Math or Language Requirement: The math requirement is necessary for students expecting to earn a Bachelor of Science degree. Students desiring a Bachelor of Arts degree must complete the foreign language requirement. Refer to the information included on each major to find out which degree is offered for your intended major at the U.

  • Bachelor of Science degrees require completion of two upper-division quantitative intensive courses, equal to six semester hours, from an approved list of courses. These courses must be passed with a minimum D- grade or credit.
  • Bachelor of Arts degrees require students to complete course work equivalent to at least fifth-quarter (202) or 4th semester (2020 level) competency in either foreign or sign language. Language credit transferred to the U must have a minimum grade of C- or credit.
  • Refer to appropriate department for BFA, BMus, BSW, and BUS requirements.

International Requirement:
(For students entering the U starting Fall 2007): All undergraduate students graduating from the University of Utah will be required to successfully complete one course satisfying the international requirement. In order to fulfill the international requirement, students must take an approved upper-division course that is at least three hours.


  1. Elective Credits: As previously explained, any course from LDS Business College above a 1000 level      with at least a D- grade will be accepted by the U. Students graduating from the U must complete at least 122 credit hours (164 for Pharmacy majors). All accepted LDS Business College credits will count toward this requirement. However, within those 122 credit hours, students are also required to complete at least 40 upper division credit hours. Upper division courses at the U are numbered 3000 or higher. Even if a department uses an LDS Business College course to waive an upper division requirement                        you will not receive upper division credit to apply toward this 40 hour requirement.


Where You Can Go For Further Assistance


There are many important offices you will become acquainted with while attending the U. Several of these, including the Academic Advising Center and Career Services, will offer immediate benefits to you. Orientation and New Student Programs Office holds Orientation programs every semester before classes begin. If you are admitted by the application deadline, you will receive an invitation to attend one of these very informative programs. Advisors at the Orientation programs will:

  • Outline the University wide graduation requirement, including the General Education program.
  • Discuss class selection and program planning.
  • Assist students that have not yet chosen a major.
  • Familiarize you with the campus, student support services, and the many opportunities for student involvement.
  • Offer registration on the day you attend an orientation session for better course selection in your first semester at the University of Utah.


Orientation may be one of the most important programs you will attend as a new University of Utah student. You must attend orientation to receive priority registration. All new University of Utah students pay a one-time matriculation fee. This $70 fee covers the cost of the new student orientation, AP/CLEP/IB credit evaluations, writing placement exams, graduation evaluations, and registration with the Career Services Center.

The University’s Career Services includes a nationally recognized career library with resources for extensive career exploration. If you have questions regarding the demand for graduates in your field, you will find valuable information located in the career library.



At the Academic Advising Center

 The Transfer Center is a resource to help students who are interested in transferring to the University of Utah. Our services begin with advisor visits to Utah community colleges and continue with advising and resources to help you once you are admitted and attending the U. We can help you:

  • Select the best classes/programs at your home school to prepare for transfer
  • Understand the application process
  • Understand how transfer credits will be accepted at the U
  • Select and plan for a U of U major
  • Resolve questions and problems in your first semesters at the U


You can set up an appointment to see a transfer advisor on the U of U campus by calling (801) 581-8146 or visit our web site at and see a schedule of our advisor visits to your school. Let us help you make a smooth transition to the University of Utah!


Still Have Questions?


For clarification of information contained in this guide, please contact the Transfer Articulation Coordinator in the University of Utah’s Office of Admissions at (801) 581-8761. You may also contact individual offices at the U for specific questions.


The Getting Ready Guide is not an articulation guide. The Getting Ready Guide is created by the  University of Utah’s Office of Admissions and departments to show how courses may transfer from other schools to complete major requirements. This guide is major specific. Courses that satisfy requirements for a particular major may not clear requirements for a different major. If you are interested in viewing articulation agreements made between schools, please visit the Utah System of Higher Education Transfer Guide.



 Update 9/2016-Information is subject to change 

Last Updated: 6/4/18