Transfer Students

Students who have completed at least 30 semester credits from a regionally-accredited college or university after high school should apply as transfer students. Test credits (AP, IB, CLEP, Language, etc.) do not apply toward the 30 semester credit requirement. Concurrent enrollment will also not be included in the 30 semester credit requirement unless the student has attended another college or university for at least one semester after high school graduation. The 30 required hours need to be completed at the time of application.

If you have earned fewer than 30 semester credits after high school, we still welcome your application to the U. You will apply as a transfer student, but will also need to submit materials required by Freshman applicants, including high school transcripts and ACT or SAT test scores.

Application Process

1. Check the deadlines

Semester Application Deadline* Notifications will begin:
Spring 2016 November 1 September 15
Summer 2016 March 15 January 15
Fall 2016 April 1 January 15

*Applications submitted with all the required documentation after the final deadline will be charged an additional $30 late processing fee and will be processed and considered on a space-available basis. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as the University could close applications without notice after the final deadline.

2. Apply

Apply for admission by submitting the Application for Undergraduate Admission. Your Social Security Number can help expedite enrollment and financial aid, but is not required. Be sure to fill out your application completely! When you submit your admissions application by the priority date, you will automatically be considered for merit and diversity scholarships. The online application is available online here

3. Pay the application fee

The non-refundable application fee for domestic students is $45. (An additional $30 late fee will be required after the deadline.)  Please do not send cash. We recognize that some applicants may be faced with financial constraints in paying the application fee. In these cases, students may submit a Request for Admission Application Fee Waiver form. If a student does not meet any of the listed indicators of economic need as noted on the Fee Waiver form, an application fee waiver may be granted for documented hardships with a letter from a school counselor, employer, or ecclesiastical leader. Letters must be on letterhead and provide contact information, and will not be accepted from family members or friends. Fee waiver requests can be sent to

4. Have your college transcripts sent to the Office of Admissions.

Official college transcripts must be sent to the Office of Admissions directly from ALL schools attended. The University of Utah verifies prior enrollment at US colleges and universities using the National Student Clearinghouse. The University of Utah accepts electronic transcripts as official from the following agencies only: Docufide by Parchment, National Student Clearinghouse, AVOW, Utah Transcript and Record Exchange (UTREx), Credential Solutions TranscriptsNetwork, and Scrip-Safe. Please send electronic transcripts to

Your application will not be processed until we have received all documents and fees.

Making false or misleading statements on the application or failing to list all institutions attended may result in cancellation of admission status and/or loss of credit.

Admission requirements, deadlines and fees are subject to change without prior notice.

All documents submitted to the University of Utah become its property and will not be released to students or other institutions.  Admission applications and transcripts are destroyed after one year for students who do not attend. 

Admission Standards

Applicants will be considered for admission after meeting these requirements:

  • 30 semester credits or more of transferable coursework from a regionally accredited college or university. Please note that if you have earned fewer than 30 semester credits after high school, you will also need to submit materials required by Freshman applicants, including high school transcripts and ACT or SAT test scores
  • Applicants transferring from another college or university are expected to have previously graduated from an accredited high school.
  • A cumulative GPA of 2.6 or higher. Students who have an associate of arts or an associate of science degree from a regionally accredited institution may be admitted with a 2.35 GPA or higher. (Note: we do not honor academic renewal at other universities).

Additional Guidelines

  • Applicants admitted with in-progress transcripts are subject to the review of a final college or university transcript.
  • Applicants not meeting the admission standards may be considered for admission on an exception basis if their special talents or diversity enhances the University's life and character.
  • If you do not meet the above requirements, it is likely you will not be admitted. Plan to continue attending another regionally accredited college or university and reapply after you have 30 semester or 45 quarter transferable credits with a 2.6 GPA.

Have Questions? Need Help?

Contact an Admissions Counselor with questions or issues.

Students are assigned to an admissions counselor alphabetically by their last name. For students whose last names begin with: 

A, B, C - Jessica Lee
D, E, F Patrick Jones
G, H, I, J Ryan Copeland
K, L, M, N Brian Best
O, P, Q, R Mr. Jan Bents
S, T, U, V Aaron Rutledge
W, X, Y, Z Kaitlin Lindsey


Transferring Your Credits

Your transfer credit evaluation will occur once you've been admitted. Learn more on how your credits will transfer.

Learn how your Credits will Transfer

Admission into Selective Majors

Many undergraduate majors have admission requirements more stringent than those required for entry to the University. Transfer students should consider those requirements as they plan their junior college curriculum. Doing so will enable them to make the most efficient progress toward their degree once they enter the University. Transfer students should be aware that preparatory course work for majors that require several pre-qualifying steps (such as pre-major and intermediate status) may take longer than two years to complete.

To minimize the possibility of taking college courses that do not count toward major requirements (or admission into a major), students should contact the department of their desired University of Utah major prior to enrolling in a junior college, or at least during their first year of junior college. The University of Utah has determined articulation agreements for courses from other Utah colleges and universities.  Students can reference the Utah State Transfer Articulation Guide for the University of Utah or if you have a specific major in mind use our Getting Ready Guides. Visit our Getting Ready Transfer Guides

Last Updated: 7/27/15