Residency Exceptions

There are a number of exceptions in the Board of Regents Policies and Procedures R512 that may make you eligible to waive the time requirement (undergraduate students) or the credit hours requirement (graduate students).

For the following exceptions found in R512-5, students must complete the Application for Residency Reclassification (pdf):

  • United States Armed Forces Personnel who are Utah Residents prior to active duty assignment/deployment or reserve assignment outside of Utah and return to Utah within 90 days of their separation from the military
  • United States Military Veterans, who have been discharged, other than a dishonorable discharge, from the United States Armed Forces within 12 months of the beginning of the term the student veteran wishes to be a resident. (Immediate family members living with the veteran may also qualify for this exception.)
  • Marriage to a Utah resident.
  • Full-time, permanent employment in Utah.
  • Spouse's or parent's full-time work.
  • A dependent child of parents, where one of the parents is a Utah resident and that parent has resided in Utah for at least 12 continuous months prior to the first day of  class for the term the student wishes to be a resident.
  • Extenuating circumstances.
  • Immigrant placed in Utah as political refugee.

For the following exceptions found in R512-6, students must complete the Certification for Resident Exception Form (pdf):

  • Job Corps students.
  • Participation in Olympic Athlete Training Program.
  • Membership of an American Indian Tribe (Not all tribes qualify; see Board of Regents Policy R512).
  • Member of Utah National Guard.
  • Active duty United States Armed Forces personnel or members of a reserve component of the United States Armed Forces, who are residents of other states, but are assigned to active duty in Utah. (Immediate family members may also qualify under this exception.)
  • A dependent child of United States Military parents whose state of legal residence and home of record is Utah.
  • Recipient of educational benefits covering full tuition and fees from a Utah State Social or rehabilitation services agency.

Please read the Board of Regents Policies and Procedures R512 for detailed information on how to qualify under one of these exception categories.