International Graduate Admissions

Welcome to the University of Utah!  This page is for international students seeking a Graduate degree who have the equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree from a recognized college or university, with at least a 3.0 GPA.

Application Process

You can find a link to the online application from your department's website. International students should apply at least 60 days before the deadline for additional processing time.

Upload an unofficial copy of all college transcripts and any additional documents required by the academic department.

The international fee is $65. Some academic programs will pay the application fee for their applicants. An additional $30 late fee will apply if your application is not complete by these deadlines, even if your academic program has a later deadline: Fall: Apr. 1
Spring: Nov. 1
Summer: Mar. 15

English language proficiency is critical to your success at the University of Utah.  Applicants whose first language, or language of instruction for at least the last three years is not English, are required to demonstrate English Proficiency. Please note that individual departments may have English proficiency requirements that are different than those listed below.  Applicants are advised to verify their program specific requirements.  

Every applicant whose native language is not English must demonstrate English language proficiency. 

Proficiency can be demonstrated in one of the following four ways: 

  1. A bachelors, masters, or doctoral degree from a regionally accredited institution in:
  • United States 
  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Ireland
  • New Zealand
  • United Kingdom
  • Some Caribbean countries may qualify upon request to be reviewed. 
  1. Official documentation from the applicant’s undergraduate degree-granting institution (if the institution is in a country other than those listed above) verifying that all instruction is in English. The undergraduate degree must be equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree. You must not have been absent from the United States for 2 or more years since attainment of that degree.
  1. Continuing students currently enrolled at the University of Utah and moving from one degree level to another, or one program to another (with a break of no more than two years between the 'change' from one degree level/program to the next).
  1. An official English language test score as follows*:

         a. 6.5 on the IELTS

         b. 80 on the TOEFL iBT

         c. 550 on the TOEFL pBT (paper-based)
*Test date must be within two years of admission for scores to be valid 

Each academic department/graduate program may establish additional or more stringent English proficiency criteria in addition to the minimum required by the Graduate School. Applicants should note that meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission to a graduate program.  The University of Utah reserves the right to request additional proof of English proficiency from an applicant.


If an applicant does not meet one of the standards outlined above, but feels their professional and/or educational experience merits English proficiency, please contact for information on filing a Petition for English Proficiency.

Your application will not be processed until we have received all required documents and fees. 

All documents submitted to the University of Utah become its property and will not be released to students or other institutions.  Admission applications and transcripts are destroyed after one year for students who do not attend.

Admission Standards

Applicants must meet English proficiency minimum requirements for admission. Each academic department or program defines admission requirements. The academic program will recommend applicants for admission to the University.

Applicants are evaluated with respect to university and departmental requirements and with respect to the pool of available applicants.

  • A bachelor's degree from a Ministry of Education recognized international college or university or a regionally-accredited U.S. college or university.  International Admissions officers will determine if applicants with international degrees meet the Graduate School's requirement of a recognized bachelor's degree.
  • A 3.00 or higher undergraduate GPA on a 4.0 scale.
  • Demonstrate English Proficiency as outlined above.

Find your department's admission requirements.


After you are Admitted

Students requesting an I-20 Certificate of Eligibility must provide the following documents:

  1. A financial statement showing a minimum of $43,925.00 in U.S. dollars. The funds should be liquid, and the account must have been in the account holder's name for at least six months. (Costs are subject to change.)
    Read an estimate of Graduate expenses.
  2. A signed statement from any sponsor providing financial support for the student, declaring the sponsor's intent to financially support the student for an entire year of tuition and living expenses. Download the Affidavit (PDF). Applicants being sponsored by their embassy, government, or educational agency need only submit a letter of sponsorship from the appropriate authority.
  3. A copy of the first page of your current passport or your national ID card.
  4. Students currently on an I-20 from another U.S. school will need to complete a transfer form, which will be mailed to the student after acceptance.

Have official school records sent to the Office of Admissions from all colleges or universities attended. 

School records must be:

  1. Sent directly from the school attended to the Office of Admissions. The University of Utah accepts electronic transcripts as official from the following agencies only: Docufide by Parchment, National Student Clearinghouse, AVOW, and Scrip-Safe. Please send electronic transcripts to
  2. Presented in the original language with an official English translation.

International Student and Scholar Services

Once accepted, your main contact on campus is International Student and Scholar Services for advising on all visa issues, orientation, international student resources, housing and other issues for international students.

Mailing Options for I-20

Students must be admitted to the University of Utah before we will start processing immigration documents. After we have received all of the required documents from the student, it takes about 2-3 weeks to process an I-20.

Select one of the following options when requesting to have your immigration documents mailed. Please provide your full name and uNID on all correspondence with the International Admissions Office. Send emails to


  • The student may authorize a friend, relative, or university department staff member to pick up the documents. If this service is preferred, send an email to with the following information:
    • Student Name, uNID, and contact information
    • Full name of person collecting the document and contact information
    • A statement authorizing the person to pick up the documents from the International Admissions Office.

Air Mail

  • The International Admissions Office will send documents to you by regular airmail free of charge. If you want to your documents sent by regular airmail, no response is required. Overseas mail takes approximately 4-6 weeks to be delivered.
    • We will mail documents to the "Mailing Address" entered when you applied to the University of Utah. If your address has changed, send an email to with the updated address.

Express Mail

  • Express mail services are available at your own expense. The International Admissions Office uses the express mail service eShipGlobal to coordinate the mailing through DHL or FedEx. Your credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or Discover cards only) will be charged upon requesting the service or you can select to pay by wire transfer.
  • To request express mailing of your documents, you must use the secured website provided below. Do not go through the DHL or FedEx website directly. All communication will go throughtheeShipGlobal service, who will notify us that you are requesting your I-20 be sent by express mail.
    • Visit
    • Complete the registration form. You will receive an email requesting that you activate the account before you begin using the account.
    • Once your account has been activated, you can prepare the shipping label:
      • Select "Receive a Package from Universities"
      • Select the state: "Utah" from the map of the United States.
      • Select school: "University of Utah"
      • Select department: "Office of Admissions"
    • You will be asked for your Student ID number (or uNID that is found on your admission letter or in the email that was sent when you were admitted), mailing address, email address, phone number, and credit card information. You will receive a quote and have the option to choose your carrier (FedEx or DHL). Pay close attention to the information submitted on these screens, as errors in credit card information or submitting incomplete or incorrect address information will result in a delay in processing your documents.
    • You will receive a confirmation email from eShipGlobal. This email will provide you with detailed information about your shipment. The University of Utah International Admissions Office will receive a copy of this email at the same time as you, so there is no need to forward the information to us.
    • If you experience any difficulty in registering or processing the shipment, use the "Help" link on the website for step-by-step instructions. If you have any additional questions about how to use this service, please email
  • Students requesting express service should complete this process early so we are notified that you want the documents shipped. If we do not receive a notification from eShipGlobal within one week of notifying the student by email, we will send the documents through regular airmail.
  • Please note, it takes 2-3 weeks to complete an I-20 after all required documents are received. Once the I-20 has been issued and we have the express mail shipping label from eShipGlobal, it will then takes about 3-5 days for it to be delivered.


  • International students on visas are not eligible to enroll as provisional or non-matriculated students.


 Admission requirements, deadlines and fees are subject to change without prior notice.